Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times

Advertisements

I chose the Maytag Bravo (TL) w/d and absolutely love both. No wrinkling; quiet. I am thrilled with my choice. This is for a new home, which we just visited. Wouldn't you know--came home yesterday only to find my washer here isn't working. Does the wash cycle but won't move to the next cycle. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Pony up the extra cash - you will be much happier.

It would really depend on your height. At just 5 ft, I am quite happy with my machine on the floor-no pedestal. It's a good height for me to fill/empty. But, I had a taller friend visit and she said it would be a back breaker for her. For me, if the machine was up on a pedestal, it would make it difficult for me to reach anything on the shelf above my washer.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
I'm too cheap to buy the pedastals! So when our 28 year old washer was put to pasture we bought a "smallish" Maytag-made in Korea so I'm pretty sure it's actually made by LG. It's not huge but it washes as big a load as we ever have, if I had 5 growing boys at home like my parents did I would've gone with the big one.

Instead of a fancy pedastal I made a 2' X 2' "box" of 2 X 12 and put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the top. Probably cost me all of $20 plus a bit of time. We liked that so much that I made another one for the dryer (it's 28 but it's got lots of life yet, doesn't work as hard with a front load washer!) so we don't bend over as much.

When will home builders catch on about the taller washers and start installing the shut off valves up higher? I always raised ours on each house BEFORE we moved in, just because we're both extra careful and shut the water off to the washer when it's not in use. We also install the "lever" type handle that opens/closes hot and cold simultaneously.

When they deliver the new washer make sure that they GIVE YOU the SHIPPING BOLTS. Put them in a zip loc bag and tape them to the back of the washer. If you ever move out of that house (average house turnover-about 7 years, washers probably last 20+ years on average) you'll be glad they're handy. In worst case it could cost you $100 or more!

golfgod

Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM

62 posts, read 230,874 times
DO NOT buy a top loader. New gov't regulations on water conservation make them basically worthless. The best machine you can buy--even it is the cheapest--is a front loader.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times
Thumbs down So the government become laundry expert--

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn64 View Post
DO NOT buy a top loader. New gov't regulations on water conservation make them basically worthless. The best machine you can buy--even it is the cheapest--is a front loader.
What next will the government tell us 'how to?' Of course, those with too little or perhaps too much education can always benefit from government interference.

Oh, BTW, the Maytag Bravo T/L is an HE model!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Quote:
What next will the government tell us 'how to?' Of course, those with too little or perhaps too much education can always benefit from government interference
Very good reasons for the government to interfere here. Top loaders use way more water. Pumping and purifying water takes lots of electricity, which means more fuel, etc.

Since most people won't voluntarily use less water the government must mandate it.

We use about 1/3 the water per household member that our neighbors do. The first 6 months we went on our conservation program the city changed our meter 3 times.

Our electricity provider did the same thing, but only changed the meter twice.

golfgod

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
I would love to buy a front loader/dryer once my house is fixed up (no appliances in the house right now), but they are quite expensive. Based on the highly positive feedback I have seen on the LG brand, I perhaps should start saving for them.

I have another quick question....does the front-loader dryers use regular 120-volt plugs? Traditionally most electric dryers use 220-volt outlets that require special outlets to plug them in. If I can get a front-loading set then it may not be necessary for me to need such an outlet. True?

Last edited by AVTechMan; 04-19-2008 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 06:31 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Let me chime in, too, for the LGs. Pricey, yes, but worth every penny. I researched all the brands before ponying up such a large amount, but then I figured in the water and energy savings and looked at it on a per-year basis, and it's a pretty good deal. I would hate to have a top loader again. Mine don't rock at all, and they're on a ceramic tile floor. I did spring for the pedestals and I'm glad I did, but if you really want to save the $400, you could do without them. They're handy, but not essential.

BTW, I subscribe to Consumer Reports, and they recommend the LGs. CR says front loaders are smart, because of the energy savings. They give them a positive recommendation, not a negative one, as someone thought earlier in the thread.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
Hi, I bought the washer and dryer front end loader and I think it is great. I have to do less loads and with a family of four, towels alone is worth the money spent. The only concern I have is the wrinkles but after reading what you guys/girls have to say, I might have resolve that problem. Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have the Kenmore HE3 the wsher is stacked on top of the dryer. It saves a lot of space. They wrok beautifully and hold a lot of laundry. We love them. They are 4 or 5 years old and we do 2-3 loads a day. No major problems yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House