Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_simmonds View Post
Yeah, I don't want anything that's running continuously. Just something there when I need it. My current water heater is a 40 gallon tank that uses LP for heating, so that doesn't use any electricity. So I don't mind a slight uptick in my usage there. But I would really like to just get a small tank that I can flip on when I know I'm going to be using the hot water at that faucet.

As far as my concern for the waste thing, I was raised by my grandparents that both lived through the depression and grew up somewhat poor. They went on to raise 7 of their own while often worrying about how to make ends meet. So trying not to waste when possible is something that was ingrained in me a long time ago. One product of that is a pet peeve for lights being left on. The wife has a bad habit of leaving lights on constantly, which drives me bonkers at times. So I'm constantly running following her around the house shutting lights back off, lol!
Point of use are extremely common in places like Japan where many people have them in their kitchens. I lived there a couple of years and had a whole house flash in my apartment, but I used them in my office and in other people’s houses and they were quite effective. Honestly, my flash water heater in Japan was just incredible. I could set it to whatever temperature I wanted right at a panel by my kitchen sink, so if I wanted really hot water for soaking for a bit, I could do that right there and then put it down again when I wanted a cooler temperature. It looks like the single sink versions are about $100-200 and then there is the installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 4,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Point of use are extremely common in places like Japan where many people have them in their kitchens. I lived there a couple of years and had a whole house flash in my apartment, but I used them in my office and in other people’s houses and they were quite effective. Honestly, my flash water heater in Japan was just incredible. I could set it to whatever temperature I wanted right at a panel by my kitchen sink, so if I wanted really hot water for soaking for a bit, I could do that right there and then put it down again when I wanted a cooler temperature. It looks like the single sink versions are about $100-200 and then there is the installation.
I would handle the installation, so not worried about that. I do like your feedback on how they work. My biggest concern at this point is how routing my hot water through it will affect it's operation.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I have to dispute the poster's advice who talked about the $100 spike in electric bill from use of a re-circulating pump. We had one in a 75 foot long ranch house where the water heater was at one end and the kitchen at the other end of the house. Never noticed a change in the electric bill. Oh, it might have been $5 or $10, but it was so little I never really noticed. So something must have been up with that particular installation the poster talked about. The main thing we did notice was hot water when we turned the faucet on - and we loved that! Home Depot has the pumps and they were easy for our handyman to install - the main thing was needing an electrical outlet where the pump was installed, and as that was under the bathroom sink at the farthest point from the water heater (this is the optimum place, the instructions say), this only meant running a line down from the outlet already in the bathroom. The pump is so quiet you never hear it.

However, having said that, we also lived in the UK for awhile, where their hot water is usually supplied by a boiler installed in the kitchen, and this was also lovely. Of course, that boiler also served as the furnace for the house, so a different situation altogether. But this might mean that one of those "instant" hot water deals talked about above would suit you. I've a neighbor who has one and he loves it.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I have to dispute the poster's advice who talked about the $100 spike in electric bill from use of a re-circulating pump. We had one in a 75 foot long ranch house where the water heater was at one end and the kitchen at the other end of the house. Never noticed a change in the electric bill. Oh, it might have been $5 or $10, but it was so little I never really noticed. So something must have been up with that particular installation the poster talked about. The main thing we did notice was hot water when we turned the faucet on - and we loved that! Home Depot has the pumps and they were easy for our handyman to install - the main thing was needing an electrical outlet where the pump was installed, and as that was under the bathroom sink at the farthest point from the water heater (this is the optimum place, the instructions say), this only meant running a line down from the outlet already in the bathroom. The pump is so quiet you never hear it.

However, having said that, we also lived in the UK for awhile, where their hot water is usually supplied by a boiler installed in the kitchen, and this was also lovely. Of course, that boiler also served as the furnace for the house, so a different situation altogether. But this might mean that one of those "instant" hot water deals talked about above would suit you. I've a neighbor who has one and he loves it.
I'm trying to see eye-to-eye with you on this. Is the correct installation where the pump only runs intermittently and not constantly? If so, that could be why.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm trying to see eye-to-eye with you on this. Is the correct installation where the pump only runs intermittently and not constantly? If so, that could be why.
Yes, the pump is controlled by temperature. When the water cools to a certain temperature, the pump comes on again. It's a very tiny pump - you can see them on Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House