U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:33 PM

9,269 posts, read 4,469,190 times

Advertisements

We have this ongoing disagreement about ceiling fans. I've researched them and see that each cost a mere $7 a month (at 14 kw, our rate) to run 24/7. Since we are at the equator, keeping air moving even when we are gone, prevents mold and keeps the temp tolerable.

DH insists on turning off ceiling fans when not in the room. I have fresh air coming in sometimes, but not always, so I'd rather leave them on whether I'm here or not.

In hot weather, do you leave them on all the time, or just when you are "in the room"?
We've never had mold, though some neighbors have, when they are gone for a long time (weeks). DH does agree to leave them on when we are gone on a trip....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,070,484 times
I don't live at the equator, so I only use mine about 6-7 months a year. Personally, I only have a ceiling fan on if I'm in that particular room. I'm not as concerned about the wasted energy, as burning out the motor.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM

94,814 posts, read 7,950,746 times
In the heat of the summer I leave the one in the bedroom on 24/7. I think it helps keep the room cooler. We are often in triple digits in summer.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,179,234 times
yes.
all the time.
slow speed when away.
winter-time reverse twist.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 930,448 times
When I am in the living room, I turn both AC and ceiling fan on. This is the most effective way to make the room cool fast. After half an hour, I turn the AC off but leave the ceiling fan on. That will make it remain cool for at least another hour. When I am away, I turn ceiling fan off.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:31 PM

6,314 posts, read 5,731,481 times
As I understand it, a ceiling fan doesn't cool the air it only moves it. A person feels cooler under a fan due to evaporation if sweat, even in the smallest amount, on the skin.

So if air movement keeps your home from mold, then leave them running. But they won't actually keep your home cooler.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:37 PM

24,008 posts, read 26,609,654 times
We leave ceiling fans on most of the time. I've replaced ceiling fans after 15+ years to update; never had a motor burn out.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM
JH6

1,434 posts, read 2,973,839 times
Mold damage costs more than an electric bill.

I live in Texas and never run it unless we are in the room.

Have never had any mold. Does your AC unit need to be serviced?

I would recommend a digital hygrometer and monitor the humidity levels in your home. 40-50 percent RH is normal for my home with AC running.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,598,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We have this ongoing disagreement about ceiling fans. I've researched them and see that each cost a mere $7 a month (at 14 kw, our rate) to run 24/7. Since we are at the equator, keeping air moving even when we are gone, prevents mold and keeps the temp tolerable.

DH insists on turning off ceiling fans when not in the room. I have fresh air coming in sometimes, but not always, so I'd rather leave them on whether I'm here or not.

In hot weather, do you leave them on all the time, or just when you are "in the room"?
We've never had mold, though some neighbors have, when they are gone for a long time (weeks). DH does agree to leave them on when we are gone on a trip....
A fan works so quickly, I don't see any reason to keep it running 24/7. That's just a waste of electricity. Even with a central Air Conditioner system set to a constant temperature, it doesn't actually run 24/7, and it takes much longer to turn a hot house into a cool with running the AC. But with a fan, it takes a minute or so. When you are not home, our AC company advised to set the temperature to 78°F to prevent static air and reduce the humidity.

I've heard about using a fan to control humidity instead of using a dehumidifier in our basement. Since we already have fans down there we use for the exercise room, when the dehumidifier broke, I tried using the fans instead. I can see from the digital sensor in the room that it didn't control the humidify.

If you like fans because you like the breeze or whatever the reason, that's fine, but I'd look for more independent scientific proof that there is a real benefit to keeping it running 24/7.

I personally don't see a reason for fans in the house if you have AC. Maybe in the kitchen if you do a lot of oven cooking, but I've seen people have them in many rooms of the house. If I were to buy a house with a ceiling fan in the master bedroom, for example, I'd have it removed because I think they look terrible and serve no useful purpose in a home with full AC.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:15 PM

31,659 posts, read 25,793,662 times
We always had them on growing up. I'd feel weird turning them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House