Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

When CFLs first came out, I started replacing the incandescent bulbs as they burned out. I had a couple of three-light fixtures where the new cfls burned out before all the old incandescent bulbs. But they got better, and I think the LEDs will, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
It's not apples-to-apples, that's for sure. But I didn't like fluorescents so badly. They just felt bad. LEDs feel much better. Commercial usage anyway. Nothing like good old daylight. I think getting up with the sun and going to bed when it gets dark suits me best.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
we updated to LED's at our church.
BIG MISTAKE.

1. the women complained how they looked in the bathroom mirror.
2. the choir robes appear red when they used to be burgundy.
3. the older members said they were too bright.
4. there's more, but you get the idea.

we now have a hybrid system....incandescent for inside and LED for outside.
Your mistake was the color temp of bulbs you bought. I dislike 3000k and up, the 2700k look exactly like incandescant bulbs. I did put 3000k in the garage, walk in closets and unfinished basement but everywhere else it's 2700k only.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
When CFLs first came out, I started replacing the incandescent bulbs as they burned out. I had a couple of three-light fixtures where the new cfls burned out before all the old incandescent bulbs. But they got better, and I think the LEDs will, too.
CFLs don't last in my experience, are expensive and use way more energy than leds. The light they put out is too white and it takes awhile to reach max brightness as well. They also look really stupid if not hidden. I dumped the few I had in the garbage along with the incandescants when I upgraded.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
I'm a big fan of energy efficiency so I've always kept up with the times regarding light bulbs. I still a bunch of CFLs that haven't burned out even though they've been installed for 7+ years, but once those go I'll replace them with LED.

LEDs are a little annoying in that some aren't dimmable, some manufacturers have differing interpretations of "2700k" colors (so two different brands in a fixture don't match), and some are too sensitive to heat. But, they are a dollar each so not the end of the world.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:13 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Led’s Are very heat sensitive . Many fail because people use them in enclosed fixtures . They make special ones for that but life is definitely shorter
I'm so glad you mentioned this. We're currently re-doing the siding and that includes the soffits under the porch roof. The former owners added the porch in 2009 and they used bathroom-type can lights in the soffits (the ones that have a frosted plastic central disc to diffuse the light) and just screwed a CFL bulb into them. The trim ring/face has yellowed over the past nine years and would look awful with the nice new soffit material, so I've been shopping for replacement rings (not easy to find, as the big box stores have switched to the LED retrofits and don't carry trim rings anymore.) My plan was to put a 100-watt LED bulb into these and so I bought four Cree bulbs today.

I just checked the package and they are not "enclosed fixture rated." So they'll have to go back. I just checked online and the only 100-watt enclosed fixture rated LED is made by Westinghouse. The highest Cree makes it 75W and I doubt that will be enough. Westinghouse bulbs aren't rated all that well though.

Also discovered that some bulbs are rated for enclosed fixtures but NOT for "enclosed recessed fixtures" ... which is what I have. Grrrrrr.....

Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
LED color temp?
well, i don't know.
i didn't buy them or install them.
the church trustees paid the bill
and the company who sold them put them in.

bottom line: LED's are the future, i guess.
about the same time people get to Mars.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:18 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I changed out every single bulb in my house to LED shortly after moving in. Got several months baseline electric bill before I made the change.

I have tons of recessed lighting with 65w flood lights in them. Changed them all to LED trims that mount flush. $400 worth of bulbs, mostly in the 2700k range with a few 3000k bulb in the kitchen and living room.

Electric bill dropped $20/month. It's been 4 years and I haven't had to replace any yet

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
LED color temp?
well, i don't know.
i didn't buy them or install them.
the church trustees paid the bill
and the company who sold them put them in.

bottom line: LED's are the future, i guess.
about the same time people get to Mars.
LEDs have come a very long way in recent years, they have gotten cheap and now mimic incandescants perfectly. I'm sure that the complaints came from cool led bulbs (probably 5000k), I don't like them for the same reasons you got complaints. LED is the present, anyone choosing anything else is living in the past.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
A lot of people have about zero clue regarding what LED they need to get, which leads them to cussing about them afterwards.

I have had mine for years now, not replaced a single one, keep the two outside lights on almost 24/7 (forget to turn off sometimes) and even outside, have lasted I would guess going on four years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House