Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No one cares whether you update or not. Your house is supposed to please YOU. What's crazy is people finding fault and berating others for making their own homes more enjoyable for THEM.
Yep.

And there also seems to be a perception that ONLY people living in non-updated houses receive compliments about their homes or get told that a guest feels at home when visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Redecorating is one thing. You can’t really redecorate yourself out of a 20 or 30-year-old house that has looked the same for all that time. You have to make some serious changes. You need to replace furniture. New floors.
Quote:
No one cares whether you update or not. Your house is supposed to please YOU. What's crazy is people finding fault and berating others for making their own homes more enjoyable for THEM.
Except that wasn't what you said in the post I quoted. You said that you can't redecorate out of a 20-30 year old house and specifically mentioned new floors.

My exception to your statement is there is no new wood product that is going to look any better than old growth wood - unless of course your old growth wood is completely trashed.

Perhaps replacement would look better in a 20-30 year old home. If that's what you mean specifically, I apologize for bringing your comment up twice! I admittedly missed the year range the first time I read it.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep.

And there also seems to be a perception that ONLY people living in non-updated houses receive compliments about their homes or get told that a guest feels at home when visiting.
Does that perception really exist?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Except that wasn't what you said in the post I quoted. You said that you can't redecorate out of a 20-30 year old house and specifically mentioned new floors.

My exception to your statement is there is no new wood product that is going to look any better than old growth wood - unless of course your old growth wood is completely trashed.

Perhaps replacement would look better in a 20-30 year old home. If that's what you mean specifically, I apologize for bringing your comment up twice! I admittedly missed the year range the first time I read it.
Yes....IF the look is one that you don't like. Especially if there are elements that are clearly from a specific era. That was my point. It should certainly be clear by now that if YOU love your own home, YOU don't need to do ANYTHING. YOU are the one living there. But if you DO want to bring the older interior of your home into a fresher, less dated look, you will need to do more than paint and hang new curtains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
"unless of course your old growth wood is completely trashed"
After 20-30 years, many, are. But it totally depends on who's living there, pets, children, etc. My parents nearly-20-year old floors are in excellent condition. And if you talk to a flooring professional, they'll tell you that 15 years is all you can hope for. Ha!

Last edited by ChessieMom; 10-29-2018 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
As per the title: "People that happily live in dated “not perfect” homes...lower stress life?"

I say no. Dated not perfect homes cost money and money is a worry. The dishwasher goes out. Sure you can hand wash dishes but you resent not being able to afford a new dishwasher. Then the microwave breaks and the spot it's in is custom carpentry. You can't find one that fits in that spot. This is what happened to my brother and his double ovens. He never did replace the one that overheated.

The first house we had was an older home and dealing with all those problems when you don't have money. . .We were happy there but not because of the house. Our family made the memories, not all the money draining repairs for our less than perfect house. And all the appliances in the kitchen were avocado green.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Does that perception really exist?
I have never heard anyone say such a thing, quite frankly.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
How old am I, you ask? Well, I'm old enough to remember the brand new harvest gold stove my parents bought new. I'm old enough to have one of my first apartments have turquoise appliances. I'm old enough for the first home I bought to have avocado appliances. In those days, stainless and black were nowhere to be seen. When we built our home 20 years ago, there were no stainless steel or black appliance options. Just as well, because we wouldn't have wanted them anyway.
That's odd. When I moved into this house, I bought a new fridge. It was black. The home was 4 years old when I bought it, and the range was also black.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I guess I don't know anyone that's that careless with their home, that there are dents in the walls, etc. And everyone has white or other pale, mostly neutral colors on the walls, so there's no need to repaint. I've seen houses that have been lived in for 40 years or more, still look great, when put up for sale, without any new paint jobs or touch-ups.

Peeling exterior paint can be a risk of water damage and decay over time. Interior paint jobs only need to be redone, if you move some framed items around, and notice there's been fading of the paint color. And I don't really agree with "updating" cabinetry, unless the old stuff was ugly to begin with, upon move-in. These days though, the seller is expected to provide updated cabinets for the buyer, which seems crazy.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
After 20-30 years, many, are. But it totally depends on who's living there, pets, children, etc. My parents nearly-20-year old floors are in excellent condition. And if you talk to a flooring professional, they'll tell you that 15 years is all you can hope for. Ha!
But of course! Only way for them to stay in business LOL!!

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And I don't really agree with "updating" cabinetry, unless the old stuff was ugly to begin with, upon move-in. These days though, the seller is expected to provide updated cabinets for the buyer, which seems crazy.
Buyers don't want to do anything. They want "move in ready, no projects." And after living with this house for 17 years, I kind of understand that mentality. Next house, I don't want projects when I move in, either.

This house, I wanted a cheap house with a garage, figuring I could do projects as I got around to them. That's been a constant source of stress as small projects turned out to be big ones as they got opened up (like, oh, can't move that switch as it's cloth bound wiring, so we have to rewire the house now to meet code).

The pics below were of the kitchen when we bought the house 17 years ago and after we swapped out the cabinet doors, painted the walls, redid the floor, and added working appliances. It's still not what I want, but it's what money and time allowed. The next house will be what I want before I move in.
Attached Thumbnails
People that happily live in dated “not perfect” homes...lower stress life?-kitchenstart.jpg   People that happily live in dated “not perfect” homes...lower stress life?-kitchencurrent.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House