Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 07:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The 8" tall weeds, in some places. If the weeds attract Code Enforcement, they might also issue a warning about the peeling paint (if it's bad enough) and broken handrail.
I’d like to see that around here lol. The city would be rich within a year. Regardless, the point was some people have what I’ve heard called a “farmer’s lawn” - not the prettiest and if it’s green it gets cut...in some cases every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly or bi-weekly like those wanting an always neat lawn. For some grass is just grass...cut it before it’s long enough to draw attention or bog down the lawnmower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
The problem is that tall weeds--along with badly peeling paint, etc.--make a house look abandoned. Abandoned houses attract dumping, scrappers, burglars, vandals and squatters. I'm close enough to neighbors in sketchy areas to hear about their problems. Hence, the City of Indianapolis cuts your grass if you don't, and charges you for it.

This is a completely different issue from not redecorating your interior with every passing fad.

Having sold my last house in a hurry, though, I think it's a good idea to keep up repairs and maintenance a little bit at a time so you don't get hit with a lot to do--and a lot of expenses--at once.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The problem is that tall weeds--along with badly peeling paint, etc.--make a house look abandoned. Abandoned houses attract dumping, scrappers, burglars, vandals and squatters. I'm close enough to neighbors in sketchy areas to hear about their problems. Hence, the City of Indianapolis cuts your grass if you don't, and charges you for it.

This is a completely different issue from not redecorating your interior with every passing fad.

Having sold my last house in a hurry, though, I think it's a good idea to keep up repairs and maintenance a little bit at a time so you don't get hit with a lot to do--and a lot of expenses--at once.
Hold your horses - there’s a huge difference between a home looking abandoned and one where the owner simply isn’t worried about every little detail. Dents in the siding, a rail with peeling paint, grass that should’ve been cut a week ago, broken concrete...this is just a common working class person’s home around here. It doesn’t stick out enough to make anyone think it’s abandoned.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
I agree there's a difference between normal wear and tear and looking abandoned. But even in springtime in Indiana, grass doesn't get 12" high (maximum legal height in Indy) in a week or two.

There's quite of bit of deferred maintenance in Indy. Cut grass is a good indicator here of whether a property is abandoned--so much so that the city keeps even those properties mowed. Other places may vary.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I agree there's a difference between normal wear and tear and looking abandoned. But even in springtime in Indiana, grass doesn't get 12" high (maximum legal height in Indy) in a week or two.

There's quite of bit of deferred maintenance in Indy. Cut grass is a good indicator here of whether a property is abandoned--so much so that the city keeps even those properties mowed. Other places may vary.
I was saying grass that’s 8 inches and should’ve been cut a week ago (when it was 6 inches). Take grass that’s maintained at 4.5 inchs - skip a week or 10 days of mowing and you might have 7-8 inch grass (especially if it rains). That’s probably not long enough to get a fine in most areas and your lawn doesn’t look it’s best, but if you don’t really care that it doesn’t look its best...do what you want. For some, grass is an annoyance so they may cut it every 3 weeks instead of weekly.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:02 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I don't think you need to do upgrades, but I do feel you need to maintain it. I personally would go a bit nuts if the paint look like it needed. Ignoring it would stress me out. I like things to look tidy, if it needs fixing just do it. But if it doesn't bother someone else to leave things as they are I a fine with that. (as long as its not my house lol)

Old 11-01-2018, 05:55 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not sure I read anything insulting there.
The pea under the mattress bit about being an over sensitive princess. That was insulting BS.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The pea under the mattress bit about being an over sensitive princess. That was insulting BS.
It was far from insulting. But clearly someone has a chip on their shoulder to have taken it that way.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:29 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
I bought a house 6 months ago and I struggle to figure out my answers to these questions. I do agree that you shouldn't neglect important maintenance issues, but how much if any money should you spend on nonfunctional/cosmetic updates? Part of me thinks people who find meaning and purpose in life wouldn't worry about cosmetics. That said, I'm a single guy in his 30s and my house (which I love overall) has pinkish/peach tile in the main bathroom's walls and the floor. I don't like it but I've lived 6 months here without it affecting my day-to-day life. Is replacing that just silly cosmetic work? Do I want a pink bathroom for the next 30 years?

Maybe there has to be balance between extravagant updating and complete disregard for cosmetics. Or maybe the key to a fulfilling life is to not care at all about that superficial stuff. Part of me thinks, "If I'm going to indulge on bathroom updates, then as might as well knock down the kitchen-dining room wall too and add an island and backsplash." And then one remodeling task leads to another.

So I don't really know what the answers are, but I think this is a great thread. It hits a lot of questions I ask myself.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I bought a house 6 months ago and I struggle to figure out my answers to these questions. I do agree that you shouldn't neglect important maintenance issues, but how much if any money should you spend on nonfunctional/cosmetic updates? Part of me thinks people who find meaning and purpose in life wouldn't worry about cosmetics. That said, I'm a single guy in his 30s and my house (which I love overall) has pinkish/peach tile in the main bathroom's walls and the floor. I don't like it but I've lived 6 months here without it affecting my day-to-day life. Is replacing that just silly cosmetic work? Do I want a pink bathroom for the next 30 years?

Maybe there has to be balance between extravagant updating and complete disregard for cosmetics. Or maybe the key to a fulfilling life is to not care at all about that superficial stuff. Part of me thinks, "If I'm going to indulge on bathroom updates, then as might as well knock down the kitchen-dining room wall too and add an island and backsplash." And then one remodeling task leads to another.

So I don't really know what the answers are, but I think this is a great thread. It hits a lot of questions I ask myself.
Well of course there is no “answer” other than everyone should do what is right for THEM. What makes YOU happy doesn’t make everyone else happy. No idea why anyone would think that anyway. This thread is evidence enough of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House