Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 505 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I’m having relatives stay with me for the holidays, and I need recommendations for a portable bed. We have to put them up in the living room (no other room). They are elderly and have trouble getting up and down from low pieces of furniture. Would a tall air mattress be sufficient? Is there anything else I can buy? I asked them and they said anything would be fine, but I’m worried they won’t be comfortable. Unfortunately, I can’t offer them my bed because it is upstairs and they can’t climb stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 08:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
A double air mattress might be best, as they aren't really low to the ground. Should be easy to arise from...keep it made up with a spread.

Other options...portable cots but I have one and it's not that comfortable nor is it easy to spring up from...other is to buy pull out couch but they too are low to the ground and rarely comfortable.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:55 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
We have an Aerobed double size inflatable bed that I got from Target that's as tall as a regular bed. I'm 65 and I've used it quite a few times, and I've also used it for my mom when she was visiting, and she was around 80 at the time. It's been fine. I would recommend that you get the type that has reinforced sides so it won't collapse easily. Also, when you put the sheets on, if it doesn't have a quilted topper, put a warm blanket under the bottom sheet, as the material the bed is made from can be chilly otherwise.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I would rather sleep on a cot then an air mattress especially two people on the same air mattress. I suggest something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Choi...orage/49317556

Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
How about a simple wooden frame, plywood top and foam rubber mattress. It would be almost like a real bed.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Hope you have a bathroom on the first floor for them to use during the night.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:26 PM

223 posts, read 144,512 times
When I moved, I didn't have any furniture so I purchased an air mattress that inflated to 18 inch. I also purchased a 4 in foam topper. I had planned to buy a bed later, but after 3 years, I'm still sleeping very comfortably on it.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee1739 View Post
Hi,

I’m having relatives stay with me for the holidays, and I need recommendations for a portable bed. We have to put them up in the living room (no other room). They are elderly and have trouble getting up and down from low pieces of furniture. Would a tall air mattress be sufficient? Is there anything else I can buy? I asked them and they said anything would be fine, but I’m worried they won’t be comfortable. Unfortunately, I can’t offer them my bed because it is upstairs and they can’t climb stairs.
What about renting a convertible sofa or a bed base and using an air mattress on it (no "unknown" mattresses)? Only have it while you need it. IMHO, if they have that much trouble with other furniture and can't climb stairs, sounds as if they are less mobile than they like to claim. I would err on the safe side and use a regular height bed. If you rely on an air mattress and either one of them can't get up off it because it's too low or because the mattress doesn't provide enough stability or support for them to leverage themselves off of it, you are sort of stuck.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-26-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 07:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee1739 View Post
Hi,

I recommend this - see link below. We have this bed and use it for guests very often. Everyone loves it because it's super comfortable and 24 inches in height. This bed has a built in pump, so it inflates itself and you can choose the pressure level that you want - from soft to very firm. It doesn't leak air at all and remains inflated until you want to put it away. It folds up and comes with a bag to keep it in when you want to store it. When it's folded up and in the storage bag, it doesn't take up very much room, so it's easy to stick it in a closet and it's also easy to fit in your car, if you want to take it somewhere while traveling.

I recently had guests here and it was used for 2 weeks with no problems at all. If by chance, you do have a problem with it, Bed Bath and Beyond will exchange it for a brand new one, no questions asked and even if you don't have your receipt. That store is great about returns and exchanges. They don't even ask or care if you bought the original item from them. As long as it's something they sell, you can exchange it.

There's no way that I would use (or offer to a guest) a regular low in height air mattress, because unless you are very young, they are too hard to get up from and most of the ones I've ever seen, always leak air and sometimes you end up basically sleeping on the floor by the time morning comes.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...harger/5032300

Old 10-27-2018, 09:25 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Get them reservations at a local hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House