Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 02:00 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I've tried...

the halogen bulbs are just not conducive to reading, doing crosswords, cooking, etc. Anything that requires close up viewing. Have one large drawerful of incandescents but they're getting harder to find and increasingly expensive. My vision is not waning but I do use magnifiers for reading.

Do you use halogen bulbs, LEDs, the power savers, without viewing issues or do you still prefer incandescents?
The new LED bulbs are great and come in various tones and wattage. For reading lamps you probably want the cool white daylight. You want to look at lumens also. Much better than those earlier energy saving bulbs that gave virtually no light and last much longer than the incandescents and more energy efficient. The lighting you choose for the kitchen will be different. https://www.earthled.com/blogs/light...m-in-your-home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Be aware that the initial brightness of an LED light is not representative of how bright it will be over its lifetime. The do have less output with age, and I generally buy at least one wattage step up to compensate.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Halogen bulbs are power-wasting 1990s tech. I loved them in my studio and office settings, but paid the price in power bills.

Good LED bulbs can produce as much or more light than incandescents, and at a fraction of the power cost. I am picky about lighting, hated the off-color rendering of fluorescents and most CFLs, and have converted my entire house to (carefully-chosen, top-quality) LED.

I think too many people hoarding incandescents have simply made poor/cheap choices in alternatives.
Those hoarding are familiar with the CFL's that many power companies sent out for free. They were awful, poor light and didn't last like promised plus had mercury in them which made throwing them away difficult. The LED's were at first really really expensive but now they have come down dramatically and I have begun replacing them as the old bulbs go. I was popping CFL bulbs in my bathroom constantly but with the LED's I have yet to replace one.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Those hoarding are familiar with the CFL's that many power companies sent out for free. They were awful, poor light and didn't last like promised plus had mercury in them which made throwing them away difficult. The LED's were at first really really expensive but now they have come down dramatically and I have begun replacing them as the old bulbs go. I was popping CFL bulbs in my bathroom constantly but with the LED's I have yet to replace one.

Yes...thank you.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks for the info...I'll definitely check them out. I'll see if Amazon has CREE brand. Yes I'm at the age, whatever it is, the more bright light the better.

I'll need to research color temps etc a bit...
Just bought some CREE bulbs at Home Depot today. I asked the worker if they were better than the Ecosmart and he said they are about the same. However, I have read of people complaining about short life-span on the Ecosmart. Not much price difference for the CREE on the type I bought.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:52 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Just bought some CREE bulbs at Home Depot today. I asked the worker if they were better than the Ecosmart and he said they are about the same. However, I have read of people complaining about short life-span on the Ecosmart. Not much price difference for the CREE on the type I bought.
The worker is an idiot. CREE is pretty much the gold standard for LED bulbs. Ecosmart can be a good buy but varies from size to size and year to year. I'd put them only in secondary locations.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Be aware that the initial brightness of an LED light is not representative of how bright it will be over its lifetime. The do have less output with age, and I generally buy at least one wattage step up to compensate.
That's like saying new tires are a bad buy because they wear down.

Good LEDs have 90% or more of rated brightness for at least several years, much longer than an incandescent lasts. If five years from now a lamp is dim, move that bulb to a closet or whatever and buy a new one.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:11 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
As a distributor of led lamps I like Cree and philips and have the least issues with them .most issues I have seen are failures because they used the lamps in enclosed fixtures and bought the wrong lamps without realizing it.

I just changed all my old f40 fluorescents to t8 led . They work off the old ballast and are a piece of cake to retrofit

Old 11-03-2018, 03:14 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Most floor people at Home Depot are not very well versed in my opinion. I have been in the electrical business for more than 40 years and find them the least knowledgeable when I hear them advise customers

Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I am having trouble with LEDs, and CFLs lasting anywhere near as long as they say they will. I write the date installed on their base and am finding I am getting 2-3 years out of them at the most. I have incandescent bulbs that are still working that were in place before the newer CFL/LED bulbs. My bulbs are generally '60 watt' ceiling fixtures or 100 watt table lamps. Any idea what gives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House