Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times

Advertisements

We have some kitchen cabinets with heavy solid wood cabinet doors. The hinge screws split out of the door (probably because of kids doing something stupid). I fixed it and replaced the hinges with heavier ones that mount on the face of the cabinet door rather than on the butt. After about a week, it started clicking every time it was opened or closed and the screws on one hinge began to pull out.

I am going to replace the hinges with much heavier strap hinges that have a lot more screws and will spread the load of the doors out more. I am concerned that maybe the recent problem may have been caused or contributed to by installing the hinges imperfectly straight/level.

Other than on a gate which is very forgiving, I have not installed strap hinges, nor have I ever installed face mounted cabinet hinges except this recent time that did not work.

Before I tackle the strap hinges I am wondering whether there are any tips or tricks to mounting them better.

My intended method after refinishing the doors to remove the screw holes from the old hinges, will be: set a cabinet door in place with a couple of credit cards stacked under each end to allow some clearance; loosely fasten the cabinet door side of the hinge with one screw; then square up and fasten the cabinet frame side of the hinge; and then install and tighten the remaining screws on the door side of the hinge. Then repeat for the next hinge (or next two, I have not decided whether I will use two or three hinges per door). If I use two, I will do the lower hinge first, then the upper hinge, If I use three I will do the middle hinge first, then lower then upper.

I think I know how to install them correctly, but it seems too easy. Maybe there are tricks to this I am missing. It seems like a pretty simple process, but the way the prior hinge pulled out, I am concerned I somehow installed it so that is was not straight and was pulling against the other hinge. Notwithstanding it is a heavy door, that hinge should have been able to hold the door with no problem. There really is not that much load on those screws.

Also I am concerned there may be some trick or method necessary for installing strap hinges that i do not know. I did not find anything on the internet specific to installing face mounted strap hinges on kitchen cabinets.

These are the hinges I am using:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	204623
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House