Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

LEDs can lead to migraines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
In our attic, I found a full, new box of the old jumbo Christmas lights - the incandescent glass bulbs about the size of your thumb that individually screw down into a socket. All very pleasing, "old" colors. The only problems being that 1.) I don't think you can buy such types of light strings anymore, 2.) I think that's for a safety reason, and 3.) For the aforementioned reason, it's safe to say these are definitely not an outdoor bulb!
no reason to think they wouldn't be perfectly safe outdoors

https://www.amazon.com/Holiday-Light...ords=c9+socket

people started changing these out to LEDs for energy savings, if enough people use LED bulbs, we'll soon forget how much nicer the old C7s and C9s were.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I do hate the flickering on cheaper LED lights, it's annoying. More expensive ones seem to have figured out how to put in a capacitor to smooth the current.

But I also hate dealing with burned out incandescents and their higher power bills. My solution? No christmas lights this year!!

Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I do hate the flickering on cheaper LED lights, it's annoying. More expensive ones seem to have figured out how to put in a capacitor to smooth the current.

But I also hate dealing with burned out incandescents and their higher power bills. My solution? No christmas lights this year!!
We don't really notice a big change in the power bill, and the lights are only up from Thanksgiving until the second week of January. I have the lights on timers, so they're only on from 6:00-6:30 am, then again from 4:30-10:00 pm, and we use that many. A lot of times I skip the big C9s on the house, and we just put mini-lights on the shrubs in front of the house. We have a wire-type snowman that the previous owner left behind, and some C9s on stakes that line the sidewalk.

I'll look for the GE lights mentioned.

Edit to add: The neighboring house that faces ours just changed their six outdoor porch/garage lights to LED. It looks like there's a commercial building across the street now. Like someone else said, though, you can't tell your neighbors what kind of lights to put up. Well, I guess you could, but since we like our neighbors, we'll keep our opinions to ourselves.

Last edited by swilliamsny; 11-20-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don’t understand the objection to LED lights... they look like any other mini light. I wonder if you’re not mistakenly objecting to something else that you’ve seen?

Someone has never seen the LED lights in what passes for "blue" these days; they suck.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:39 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
1. You don't HAVE to have a Christmas tree.

2. If you have one, you don't HAVE to put lights on it.

3. In the old days they used candles.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:41 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be "that guy", but your article certainly isn't proof that LEDs cause migraines. The article interviews a single professor of psychology (not a M.D.) who does not cite any specific study, and the article gives no references.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
You don't have to have lights on your tree, you know. Just having ornaments is fine.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:23 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be "that guy", but your article certainly isn't proof that LEDs cause migraines. The article interviews a single professor of psychology (not a M.D.) who does not cite any specific study, and the article gives no references.
Why do you need proof, do you think we are making it up? It is medically understood that flicker can trigger migraines in people who get them or cause general discomfort in people sensitive to it and LEDs flicker.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:06 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I hate, hate, hate LED Christmas lights. I also hate having to throw out many of the traditional lights after only a year of use because they either won't light, or only half the strand will light.

Can anyone recommend a mini-light, both colored and white, that will last longer than a single season? I seem to have better luck with the C9s, and it's easy to replace a bulb that goes out, but they're only good for the house, not the bushes and trees. I will NOT use LEDs. I'd rather go without than put those science-fiction-looking things in my yard.
If you hate LED lights, don't use them. Simple.

I use old fashioned C9s. I went back to them three years ago.

Why not just put a candle in every window? You can leave that up all year long. For something more Christmas-y, add a wreath, real or artificial, lighted or not.

Bushes can easily be decorated with netted lighting. Not all of it is LED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House