Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Don’t understand all the hubbub. Warm white LEDs that look like incandescent bulbs that do not flicker exist.
I don’t like the colored ones either. The colored LEDs look gaudy, especially the blue ones which are way too intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I understand your dislike of LED lights. They don't look as nice in photographs either.

However since I use around 1000 lights on the tree every year (not a particularly large tree either) and am not a wealthy person and have electric rate of .26 per kwh.... I use LED.

I mix white and colored strands. The white... go around the interior branches of the tree.. and the colored on the outer branches.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I understand your dislike of LED lights. They don't look as nice in photographs either.

However since I use around 1000 lights on the tree every year (not a particularly large tree either) and am not a wealthy person and have electric rate of .26 per kwh.... I use LED.

I mix white and colored strands. The white... go around the interior branches of the tree.. and the colored on the outer branches.
We use both as well. For whatever reason, the white incandescent a are easier to find around here. We alternate white and colors on the shrubs in front of the house. For the indoor tree, we do exactly what you do with yours.

I stopped at our local hardware store to get another outdoor timer, and they had a gun-like contraption that fixes the lights. I only had time to try it on two strands for now, but it did re-light both of them!! We'll see how long that lasts. The gun was $35, so it will take a while to recoup the costs, but he satisfaction of seeing the lights work again might just be worth it. I'm sure other places sell it for less, but the owners of the store always give so much to the community. Sorry I don't remember the name of it. I'll look when I get home.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:34 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post

Do you mean Leavenworth?
No, it was Franklin, Tennessee.

I don't live there, but I know about it.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:31 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I hate, hate, hate LED Christmas lights.
Me too.

Nothing wrong with hate hate hating LED christmas lights.
What's even worse than LED Christmas lights?
People jumping on their soapbox to tell you your hatred of LED christmas lights is stupid and trivial.
What's even worse than that?
People jumping on their soapbox to complain about the people complaining about the people who hate LED Christmas lights!

Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
I hate, hate, hate LED Christmas lights. I also hate having to throw out many of the traditional lights after only a year of use because they either won't light, or only half the strand will light.

Can anyone recommend a mini-light, both colored and white, that will last longer than a single season? I seem to have better luck with the C9s, and it's easy to replace a bulb that goes out, but they're only good for the house, not the bushes and trees. I will NOT use LEDs. I'd rather go without than put those science-fiction-looking things in my yard.
To each his own I suppose, but I fail to understand the “hate, hate, hate” directed at an inanimate object like a Christmas light. Of all the things in this world to be irate about, Christmas lights of any sort are light years away from my train of thought.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Not my problem, personally, but I'll play devil's advocate...

I think that it's easy to say for people to whom it was never a priority or passion. They make it look so effortless.

But if Christmas lights are your "thing" or you have a legitimate issue like migraines triggered by certain lights, it becomes more difficult to "not sweat the small stuff" when you:

In which case, deal with the shortcomings of "traditional" lights, or have no lights at all. I think the OP is in search of a unicorn.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Might as well accept LED is the new standard. Pretty soon, you won’t find anything but LED bulbs in stores. I understand that you hate them, and that’s understandable. But eventually, you will have to adapt or you will just suffer. Remember Polaroid and Blockbuster? They refused to go digital, and faded away. Gotta stay ahead of the curve.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
I hate, hate, hate LED Christmas lights. I also hate having to throw out many of the traditional lights after only a year of use because they either won't light, or only half the strand will light.

Can anyone recommend a mini-light, both colored and white, that will last longer than a single season? I seem to have better luck with the C9s, and it's easy to replace a bulb that goes out, but they're only good for the house, not the bushes and trees. I will NOT use LEDs. I'd rather go without than put those science-fiction-looking things in my yard.
I hate the bluish look of LED lights, too. So does a lot of my family.

Don't know why people are giving you a hard time. I'm sure your "hate" isn't something that's like some irrational anger or extreme reaction to seeing these lights, it's just a thing people say - they "hate" something; I'm sure you lose no sleep over it.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Might as well accept LED is the new standard. Pretty soon, you won’t find anything but LED bulbs in stores. I understand that you hate them, and that’s understandable. But eventually, you will have to adapt or you will just suffer. Remember Polaroid and Blockbuster? They refused to go digital, and faded away. Gotta stay ahead of the curve.
Well if that’s the case I’ll just stop putting up Christmas lights altogether. It’s not worth the hassle of getting on a ladder to put up those inferior things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House