Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
We have looked at quite a few houses over the years since I want to move. We can't afford to build new so we have been occasionally considering rehabbing an older home. But 9 times out of 10, the older homes smell musty. I don't think I could get past it. I am not sure there is any way to get rid of it because if there was, wouldn't the owner do it?

I saw a gorgeous tudor yesterday but it hit me the second I walked in and I couldn't think of anything else the entire time. I asked if they had water damage because it's a low lying lot and on the back of it is a creek. She said yes, it does flood sometimes and they have had water damage.
Do you really want to buy a house that is on a creek that floods occasionally and causes water damage? What will happen when that "century flood" comes along and the house is inundated? In our area, we've had four so-called century floods, in a 51 year period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
if you want to get rid of smell, a good industrial ozone generator will get rid of it, about $40-60 on amazon

it wont fix problem, but if you fixed it and now want smell gone, this works well

Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We once had a house that defied all our efforts to get a certain smell out after repainting, etc.etc. Then the smell magically disappeared when we gave the windows a good cleaning. So I learned a lesson there: glass adsorbs odors (not absorb, adsorb, which means the deposits sit on the surface).
The 1940 bungalow I bought had an old house smell for months and wouldn't leave. It finally dissipated when several windows were replaced. The windows were original and painted closed. They were so filthy and couldn't be cleaned. Now the house smells okay even with the windows closed. The house is in the desert, so humidity isn't an issue.

When I was selling my previous house, I too a lot of care to ensure the house smelled clean in a neutral way. I'd not cook anything if I knew there would be a showing soon. Odors put people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House