Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Garage doors are weak points almost no matter what you do - a burglar can spend an hour, probably with tools you've provided nearby, to pry and drill through a door with home-grade security.

An interior bar is about the only thing that will slow them down enough to be meaningful. But that does prevent entry from the garage.

Adding some rabid dobermans to your rack of lawn tools therein might be the only further step.

Car remotes for garage doors are such a PITA - it would be so simple to make them inactive when the key is off, but I don't know of a single maker who does it that way. A quick window smash, a push, and your house is all but naked to even an amateur burglar.
I moved in with my sister for a brief time in 2015. She had 4 yorkies and 1 chiquaqua. I brought my own yorkie. Imagine the noise level when someone rang the door bell or the pool guy stopped by in the morning at 7am to do his job. Terrific, little alarm systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
My garage door is steel as is the frame. Someone could enter through the doggy door, but hopefully the size of the doggy door will be a deterrent. God help them if it isn’t.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The reason really old houses have a detached garage is because it was a stable before it was a garage. And horse manure stinks, hence not attaching the stable to the house. I like the idea of driving into a garage and walking straight into the house. It's something you really appreciate in the dead of winter.
Well, the houses I've lived in with detached garages certainly never used them as stables.

I agree that "the dead of winter" has a totally different meaning in AK than in Texas, where I lived most of my life, or even in Massachusetts where I live now.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I agree that "the dead of winter" has a totally different meaning in AK than in Texas, where I lived most of my life, or even in Massachusetts where I live now.
I would not have wanted a separate garage in CT. Again, in the tradeoff between reasonable convenience on a day to day basis, and security against largely imaginary assaults, some judgment has to be applied.

Most attached garages are as secure as a cardboard box with one end open. That can be fixed with reasonable, still-convenient steps. Or you can negate nearly all the advantage of having a garage, and a convenient attachment, and the ability to use it easily, in the name of what's more paranoia than practicality.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I'd never want a detached garage. One of the main reasons I have a garage in the first place is protection from the weather, for my and my vehicle as well. If I have to walk out into the rain/snow to get into my house, well, no thanks.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Someone can get into a house in a few seconds with a crowbar. If you have a french door, they just bust out the glass and step thru (happened to some friends). A window breaks out just as easy, but takes a little more effort to get thru.

Locks, no matter what type, will only slow down someone that wants to go thru that door.
Yes, and as my father used to say, locks are for honest people.

But he also had a homemade Billy club (made with a lead core and wrapped in rubber from a bicycle inner tube.) Yes he was an inventive gentleman from days gone by and the kindest and most gentle of men ever born. His bedroom was off the living room at the front of the house. Our dog, GRIZZLY slept on the enclosed porch at the back of the house and as they say...pity the fool.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'd never want a detached garage. One of the main reasons I have a garage in the first place is protection from the weather, for my and my vehicle as well. If I have to walk out into the rain/snow to get into my house, well, no thanks.
Can't beat driving from covered parking at home to another covered parking at work.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Car remotes for garage doors are such a PITA - it would be so simple to make them inactive when the key is off, but I don't know of a single maker who does it that way.
Mine doesn't work with the key off, but the car is usually in the garage when it's home so it's a moot point.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:31 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
If I can't walk in whatever weather is outside, it's too dangerous to drive in.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Recently, there some numerous neighborhoods nearby that burglars broke into the car parked on the driveway, took the garage door remote, opened the garage door and kicked in the door leading into the house.
Sounds like a lot of work. They could just have easily kicked in the front or back doors.

A home security system that covers all doors and windows is a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House