Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,460,254 times

Advertisements

It can be fixed. Problem is with a system so old this is just the beginning. I'd redo the whole system, all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,577,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Keyword- "temporary". I never would/have trusted these things for a permanent repair!
I only said temporary because it sounds like there may be other issues that require more extensive repairs. I've been using Sharkbites for at least 7-8 years now and never had any failures. There's no reason to believe they're not a permanent fix when used appropriately. The only real downside is they're expensive compared to copper fittings.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 AM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Thanks everyone - as for the question of hot or cold water pipe.... I have no idea, there is a warren of pipes across the ceiling of the basement and I don't know where this particular one goes to or comes from. As for the comment of there might be more? Yikes... last thing I need is an expensive repair. I'll see what I can dig up for something rubber and I'm not sure if I have any hose clamps.... wish me luck. I'll update as needed.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 AM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Been using sharkbites for years with zero issues.
Great for temp or permanent repair.
They also make a ready made clamp with a rubber patch that you slip over the pipe and tighten down.
They work very well too. I had been old school mentality as well until I started us in this stuff.
I'm going to see if I can find this - I have no way to cut the pipe or anything.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:58 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,666,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm going to see if I can find this - I have no way to cut the pipe or anything.
The place that sells sharebites, also sells tools to cut pipe.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,577,018 times
A pipe cutter like this is all you need.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-...tter/999903207

Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
Quote:
As a homeowner, you will have the need/privilege/opportunity to buy many tools.
Here are the rules:
1. If you think you will use the tool many times during your lifetime, then buy high quality.
2. If you think you are going to use it once, then low price. Just don't be surprised/angry when it breaks.

As a homeowner, you have two repair options:
1. Hire someone for everything and never learn how to do minor repairs. This will cost you a fortune.
2. Learn how to do minor repairs and then take your time to hire a pro for the big jobs.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,699,922 times
Cut out a small section and replace a new piece with compression fittings.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
As a homeowner, you will have the need/privilege/opportunity to buy many tools.
Here are the rules:
1. If you think you will use the tool many times during your lifetime, then buy high quality.
2. If you think you are going to use it once, then low price. Just don't be surprised/angry when it breaks.

As a homeowner, you have two repair options:
1. Hire someone for everything and never learn how to do minor repairs. This will cost you a fortune.
2. Learn how to do minor repairs and then take your time to hire a pro for the big jobs.
great advice on both......

remember youtube probably has a video on how to do whatever you need done!

Neighbor's kid came home from college with a bad headlight. They start calling the dealer to get an appointment, getting crazy prices. I told them to look on youtube, $9 bulb and 15 minutes later the light was fixed. Neighbor is a great guy but not exactly a wiz with tools but he got it done!

Same neighbor: Remote FOB for car had a low battery warning. Called dealer, $125 to fix it. Youtube video showed how to change a $4 battery. Done in less than 5 mins.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:29 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,252,498 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have known about this but I decided after wavering to put out some Christmas decorations that had been stored in a lawn & leaf bag w/a bag over the top and found the top wet!!! Not a lot of water or maybe not a long-term leak (although one snowman is destined for trash).

The copper pipe above has a tiny bead of water (the house was built in the 50's) - I tried this epoxy putty stuff I had - nada. Tried it again later after kneading it better. Looks like I need to have a plumber come and replace a tiny section? - December is already pretty expensive. Any thoughts?

It's over. Tear the house down and start from scratch. It's likely to collapse at any minute!!

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House