Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You need to chamfer the pipe end prior to installation, otherwise a sharp edge may nick the o-ring, creating a leak now, or in the future. Th
Which takes about four seconds.

Good point about needing supports for some shark-bite connections. Of course, done right, PEX should only have two connections.

We insisted in Wirsbo fittings. The plumber had to go buy the tool. That made us concerned. We were right. the first plumber was a bozo. Still I think he got the fittings right. We have not had any leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Yeah, it doesn't take long....just watch and see how many actually do it.

The wirsbo system is expensive to start, but the alternatives I saw each had their weak points. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and know I've done the best job possible. Even sharkbite says their fittings aren't permanent - I've worked on copper that was installed 40 years ago that's still solid - those wirsbo fittings won't be, I'm afraid.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
In the plumbing aisle, Home Depot sells a nifty item like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...-804/100197583 They are great for TEMPORARY repairs until you can get a plumber in. In 35+ years, they have saved our behinds multiple times. Because as all homeowners know, plumbing problems only happen on weekends and holidays, when you can't get ahold of a plumber.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 AM

13,711 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Keyword- "temporary". I never would/have trusted these things for a permanent repair!
I know two plumbers on different ends of the country that disagree with that. They say, "They're expensive, but they do work." One told me to use them when I had to fix something at 9:00 PM at night wiht the Home Depot open for another hour. Because these things always happen at night with the store open for 30 minutes more.

But OP needs to start planning for the dominoes to start falling. The copper pipe is at the end of its useful life. Fortunately, replacing it with PEX is cheap.

Personally, I'm in the process of replacing crummy rings and pipe under my house. The professional grade ones. QPEX. I hate QPEX. Fortunately replacing it isn't rocket science. Since there's a lot of it, I bought a crimping tool.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Be careful what the crimping material is made of - a lot of it has been rusting through. One of the reasons I opted for going with the Wirsbo style.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Sharkbites use o-rings. Those will eventually breakdown after decades. All rubber eventually deteriorates faster on the hot water lines due to thermal cycling. Half the problems in plumbing are deteriorated rubber washers and o-rings. I agree soldering is a more permanent fix. Though Sharkbites are useful in places where the plumbing needs to be taken apart periodically such as near faucets and other fixtures that get replaced.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Sharkbites use o-rings. Those will eventually breakdown after decades. All rubber eventually deteriorates faster on the hot water lines due to thermal cycling. Half the problems in plumbing are deteriorated rubber washers and o-rings. I agree soldering is a more permanent fix. Though Sharkbites are useful in places where the plumbing needs to be taken apart periodically such as near faucets and other fixtures that get replaced.
I agree with the deterioration concerns - but using compression fittings for faucets, etc., are (IMO) more reliable than the shark bites.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:31 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Updating: I bought Stretch and Seal (after being in the HD forever trying to find someone who might know what they are talking about) - anyway... the first time I put it on, I still had a little drip, put more on across a wider area (and really made sure to stretch it) - so far, okay - keeping fingers crossed.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 AM

337 posts, read 448,597 times
I was gonna say try some of that Flex Seal Tape you see in the commercials.... "They" say it will temporarily seal up anything except a spouse jibber-jabbering like a magpie during an important football game.....lol J/K

Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yeah, it doesn't take long....just watch and see how many actually do it.

The wirsbo system is expensive to start, but the alternatives I saw each had their weak points. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and know I've done the best job possible. Even sharkbite says their fittings aren't permanent - I've worked on copper that was installed 40 years ago that's still solid - those wirsbo fittings won't be, I'm afraid.
PEX has been in use in Europe for over 50 years and reportedly holds up better than Copper. I do not know which type of fitting they use in Europe.

Done right each run of PEX has two fittings. One at the fixture, one at a manifold in the basement or crawlspace. There is no place to have a failure except at the easily accessible points. No tearing out walls or ceilings ever (unless you put a nail through the PEX).

i told our plumber i wanted straight runs from each fixture to a manifold. He said Yeah yeah of course we do it that way. given the fact he had to go buy the Wisbro tool, I made him write that on the PO and initial it.

He did it right!

For the second floor plumbing.

Then I went away for a week and returned to find he had installed the downstairs plumbing trunk and branch. Some straight runs even had short pieces of PEX fastened together. Apparently he wanted to practice with the wisbro tool and install as many fittings as humanly possible. I pitched a fit. this not only increases the possibility of leaks it creates restriction points and reduces volume (what many people call water pressure). He also used 1/2" pipe and then branched out with 3/8" It was supposed to be 3/4" branching out to 1/2" he asked me sarcastically if I was going to make him tear it out and re-do it. I told him yes. He refused and promised me there would be no problems with volume. I had drywall crews standing around waiting, so I let it go. Wish I hadn't. Although we did not have any leaks so far we do have volume problems. Someday I may rip out the basement ceilings and replace all the plumbing with properly sized properly installed PEX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House