Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,847,999 times

Advertisements

For anything over 2 bathrooms, I recommend 1" mains feeding 3/4" (to showers and other high-flow), and 1/2" to everything else (kitchen/bath sinks, commodes, etc). It's often funny to pull up on a job site and take out my Wirsbo gear to install two fittings for a water softener - and the others are over there with their clamping systems, etc. If their bosses actually DID the connections, they'd understand not only how much better they are, but how much faster you can do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 03:43 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Thought I'd update this (it's still got a small, occasional drip) - I tried wrapping it w/this tape that HD recommended, you stretch it and wrap, etc. - it's hard because the pipe is so near the ceiling so it gets stuck to itself, etc. Really hoping I don't have to pay for a plumber (I'm pretty tapped out w/recent costs and I'm on disability) - any thoughts on maybe something I could "paint/brush" on? Still have no idea what the pipe is for - I THINK it is/was for the upstairs refrigerator that had an icemaker but haven't had that fridge for many yrs. and it's supposed shut off.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,576,018 times
If it's not an active pipe, cut it and install a push-on cap. They're about $6-7.

Since it's still dripping after all this time, are you sure it's shut off? Don't cut it until you know, unless you like the excitement of lots of water spraying around in the house.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:43 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
Thank you for trying to help.... I have no way to cut it.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 PM

The tool to cut it is under $10 -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-...-111/304384093

Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times
OP, I think the pros on here are assuming you know how to turn the water pressure off to this particular pipe, you need to do that to do any kind of tape or epoxy temporary repair; and you really need to know how to do it before you cut any pipe.

If you can cut a section out, you can look inside at how corroded or not it is.

Good luck.

As to tools - I have always been one to go for high-end tools, even specialty tools that, from a business perspective, cost too much for as little as I actually use them. I'm OK with that. You may recall that I'm the guy who uses 12 gauge Romex instead of 14, who pours concrete slabs thicker than standard and includes re-bar in them, and in general is one to build house projects "Hell for stout". Yeah, from a business perspective I guess I am "wasting" some money. I make good money on my job, no kids, paid for house. I don't care about the "wasted" money. I like my pro-grade tools and my heavy-duty garage.

What I like about good tools is, when the job is tough and I'm needing to move on to other stuff I need to do - these tools don't let me down. Nothing like breaking a Harbor Freight tool late on a Sunday afternoon when getting a replacement is difficult or impossible.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As to tools - I have always been one to go for high-end tools, even specialty tools that, from a business perspective, cost too much for as little as I actually use them.
You sure we're not related?!?? The 16 x 20 workshop in my back yard has a breaker panel (literally) the same size as my 2400 sq ft house.....the rafters are 2 x 10's, an' there's a Esab 250 MIG welder out there.....

I'm the same on all my tools - buy the good ones once. I only recommended the tubing cutter I did because the OP is talking about things being tight for him - otherwise, it would've been the Ridgid mini cutter (like I have). I refuse to buy cheap tools - I learned a long time ago that they're more expensive in the long run. My PVC cutters cost about $80, and are hard to find - but I've owned 'em since 1986. Most of the junk you find in the stores will be junk in 5 years or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House