Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times

Advertisements

I would really like to replace my front door slab. It is ugly, beat up, has torn and missing vaneer and has this square frosted window on top that is useless. I determined installing an prehung would be too complicated because the drywall overlaps the rough opening and I would have to tear the insides apart in addition to having to take out and reset the storm door. I'd like to just bring the old slab to a door store and have them cut and prep it for me. I understand some stores offer this (not the big box stores). How do I go about finding a store that will do this. BTW can fiberglass be cut/prepped like wood? I hate steel it dents I'm probably going to have to replace the back slab eventually too as a result.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
if it was me I would call a handy man and let them take care of it . It will save you in the long run and less you will have to do . Either way good luck . I praise God for my husband because he is mr handy or I will call someone and that relieve so much stress you would not believe . Good luck to you whatever you decide to do .

Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
That is an odd way to frame a door.... what is the slab size ? Is trimming something you are comfortable doing ? I would think that any reputable cabinetmaker or trim carpenter could do that for you once you provided the door and dimensions.
Search this: custom door installation, chicago.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 AM

This is Chicago unfortunately any sort of construction labor will charge several hundred dollars to come out and do it that is why I try to do as much as I can myself. I couldn't even get some rotten facia boards replaced for 20-60min work for less than $600. If I can bring the door to some store they might charge a reasonable amount to do the prep. I'm not great with carpentry such as making precision cuts. I probably just don't have the tools. Just a hand circular saw.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Well, the only tools you need to hang a door are:

A saw (sounds like you have this)
A block plane
A sharp chisel
A hammer or mallet (for the chisel)
A drill
A tape measure and a straightedge, and/or a framing square
And the correct hole saw and spade bit to install the lock.

In other words, less than $100 in tools that you can have for the rest of your life and use many times.

You just cut the new door just a smidge oversize, fit it to the opening, then you cut the mortises for the hinges; install it in the opening, plane it to exact size, install the lock.

You'll probably want some thin cardboard and books of various thicknesses to shim the thing into position temporarily as you work.

No big deal. Takes a morning.

Of course, professional carpenters who hang hundreds of these have all kinds of proper fixtures and time saving tools, but anyone with reasonable manual dexterity and willing to go slow and watch carefully what they're doing ought to be able to cut 3 mortises for the hinges and one for the lock bolt with a hammer and chisel (like every single hinge mortise was cut the the roughly 200 years between the introduction of the inset hinge and the introduction of the electric power tool).

You cannot fit the door to the opening offsite. It will have to be done in place. In house construction, all corners are out of square and all vertical surfaces are out of plumb, and nothing actually measures its nominal size. You cannot take measurements and have a "door store" (is there actually such a thing? I just deal with lumberyards, hardware stores, and the big boxes) make it fit.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 AM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Measure the old door precisely. You may be able to find a pre-hung the same size. Just don't use the new casing.

You might have to use wood chisels on the old casing to set the hinges or shift the striker hole slightly. If you use your saw to cut the top or bottom, clamp scrap wood over the area you plan to cut to prevent chip-out or damaging the face.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 AM

I was told there were door stores out there that have a rig setup in the back and can easily match up the new door slab you buy for them with the old one you brought to them. That would be my best option. Otherwise I am not too confident in my wood cutting skills. I have a tough time making precise cuts and these cuts need to be very precise. I am better at plumbing than carpentry.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,053 times
Check out this thread on when I replaced our front door only without having to redo the frame (couldn't afford to anyway). Not the hardest project, but not the easiest either.
//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...endations.html

I had ordered the door to be cut to the proper length. It did not show up that way and I had to cut about 8 inches off the bottom of it with a skill saw and a home-made guide to guide me. Nerve wrecking to say the least.

Width on the door is pretty standard in general. You should be able to order one with the proper width without issue.

What I would do here..... Take measurements of your existing door. Be very precise, down to the 1/8th or even 1//16th if you can. Do this for length, width, and also depths (don't forget that!) You're wanting to use the same frame, so you'll want the same thickness of door here.

Take those measurements to your local lumbar store (or big box if you'd like, they do this too). Shop for the door you like, order it to those exact measurements. Should take a few weeks to come in.

Like I said, mine did not come properly cut at the bottom (like it should've of), but was able to get past it. From there, I simply took off the current door and set it directly on top of the new door and marked EXACTLY where the plates should be on the new via the old.

Then I used this little marvel to router-out the hinge points: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-...9HT2/202078674

I also used the old door to mark exactly where the handle holes should be, and used another tool to make the cuts for the handle and latch. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Wo...DLK4/205209873

Then I installed a new sweep on the bottom of it (ask for one when you buy the door).

Then, I repaired the existing hinge holes on the frame with glue and a dowel rods.

As my new door was a LOT heavier than the previous one, I replaced the hinges with fancy ball-bearing hinges and also used longer screws to grab into the door frame better.

Installed the door, hardware, and have been happy every since. Had to sand down the existing frame a bit to make it fit perfectly, not a big deal at all. Now, instead of opening a fiberglass door, it's like opening a bank vault door. Heavy, solid wood....

So, not a major DIY, but not quite as easy as it would appear. Key is getting the door with the exact same measurements that you already have to start with, and getting a hold of a few tools to use (floating router for the hinge sets and a strong drill to cut through for the handle/lock hardware).

Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Hanging a door is a highly skilled task, which is why (usually crappy) prehungs are so popular. If you don't have all the tools and skills for sizing, finishing and hanging a heavy security-type door (that is, not a lightweight interior door whose fit and operation is far less demanding)... I'd get someone to do it for you.

Yeah, you'll get it up there. And never be happy with it, ever.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Hanging a door is a highly skilled task, which is why (usually crappy) prehungs are so popular. If you don't have all the tools and skills for sizing, finishing and hanging a heavy security-type door (that is, not a lightweight interior door whose fit and operation is far less demanding)... I'd get someone to do it for you.

Yeah, you'll get it up there. And never be happy with it, ever.

Pretty much nails it.

OP, put $100 away every month for a year. While you are doing that find a good finish carpenter and explain what you want. Work with him or her to select a door and then leave it to them to fit it. Don't be surprised when they tell you that no matter what you pout in that space, without any molding it is still going to ....well....not look great.

This is a project you don't want to get involved in yourself without some skills. Setting the door isn't impossible if you take your time, but then cutting and drilling the mortises and holes for the hinges and lock set and dead bolt can go horribly wrong if you are not very careful.

Hire it out to a well recommended carpenter. Be careful. Just like you, not everyone can do a good job with a project like this. Looks easy. It's not.

'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House