Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Meh...when my kids were younger, one bay of our "2 car" (barely) garage housed kids bicycles, skates basketballs and other stuff they used daily and needed easy access to. As they aged out of that stuff, both cars made their way back.

As long as the house and yard look neat and well maintained, I don't care what they do with their garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are you? Shocked, I mean.

Is a garage a non-negotiable for you when house hunting? It sure is for me.
Even when I was in an apartment, only buildings with garages were even considered.

I'd never buy or rent a house with no garage. (Not if I could help it.)
My days of cleaning snow off the car, or parking on the street (at home) are over.
I purchased my current home because it has a 625-square foot, side-loading, under-the-house garage. Yeah, baby! 625 square foot of automotive/workshop bliss.

I also put up a small shed in the yard, lest I be tempted to put anything inappropriate in the garage!

Way too many men, upon seeing my spotless and clean garage say, "Your husband doesn't let you fill up the garage with crap!" And I set them STRAIGHT. There is no husband and if there is, that fellow better keep a clean garage!

Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I purchased my current home because it has a 625-square foot, side-loading, under-the-house garage. Yeah, baby! 625 square foot of automotive/workshop bliss.

I also put up a small shed in the yard, lest I be tempted to put anything inappropriate in the garage!

Way too many men, upon seeing my spotless and clean garage say, "Your husband doesn't let you fill up the garage with crap!" And I set them STRAIGHT. There is no husband and if there is, that fellow better keep a clean garage!

It’s really a garage/showroom/shop, I love it! Hope you have a music system and huge flat screen down there as well.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
To those asking what business is it of yours what your neighbors do or don't do with their garages, I offer this.

The HOA makes it their business. It's all about the appearance of the community as a whole.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Who has the energy to worry about what other people do with their garages?

Old 12-30-2018, 02:21 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
I purchased my current home...

What? Not A Sears! I'm devastated!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:

Beautiful. I love your brick home.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Not shocked, but I have noticed what you have.

We had a tiny two car garage in our last house, and we put our cars in every night. We now have an oversized two car garage, and we put our cars in every night. If you need to store rooms of furniture, you can rent storage. If you can’t afford to rent storage, you can find systems that store things overhead in your garage.

Or you can buy one of those sheds I see on the parking lots of big box hardware stores.

But, yes, people tend to cram their garages with stuff they don’t want to deal with. But your car is a major investment. It needs to be garaged, IMO.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What? Not A Sears! I'm devastated!

The water heater that caught fire recently is (was) from Sears! It's now been replaced!

Old 12-30-2018, 03:30 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I'm picturing the OPs garage as spotless without a tool anywhere. Or perhaps a few new tools artfully displayed on peg boards above a perfectly clean never used work bench.
Perhaps like my grandfather, outlines of each tool on the pegboard drawn with black marker so everyone knows exactly where it goes. He used his all the time though!

I want to use our garage during bad weather, and we did squeeze my car in during the last snow. We just moved last year htough, combining 2 homes into one, so we still have a lot of stuff to go through and a very large "Yard Sale" pile in the garage waiting for warmer weather. I wanted that pile brought upstairs, but my honey said he's not carrying it all up just to carry it all back down again.

Ours is small, too. It's a double garage, but each side seems narrow and I have to drive in and out very carefully to avoid clipping my side mirrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House