Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM

3,035 posts, read 8,315,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Speaking only for myself, directness is appreciated. Especially in a big $$ decision.

Nothing wrong with being direct when the occasion requires it. However we do need to keep in mind what Rickcin is making reference to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
You could be right as well as others who have commented but we all know how one photo of a tiny portion of the build might not be a true representation of the house is built regarding the overall workmanship.

What we have been shown are images in different stages of construction and very limited views of those. We can offer "How abouts" on individual items we see in the limited views but it would be at the OP's discretion whether they provide more information and/or pursue it. Trying to go anywhere past that point is a huge leap that is unsupported and can only scare the OP possibly unnecessarily more than help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 03:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,050,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Nothing wrong with being direct when the occasion requires it. However we do need to keep in mind what Rickcin is making reference to.

What we have been shown are images in different stages of construction and very limited views of those. We can offer "How abouts" on individual items we see in the limited views but it would be at the OP's discretion whether they provide more information and/or pursue it. Trying to go anywhere past that point is a huge leap that is unsupported and can only scare the OP possibly unnecessarily more than help.
I totally agree❗️

Old 01-01-2019, 04:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,039,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8570 View Post
So, for the builder to fix this cosmetic issue would be a easy or is it a major repair ?
This is purely cosmetics. Likely the masons did not frame out wide enough for the 4x4 in the column and did not account for how wide the trim would be. It looks like the way the concrete was poured they didn't even make the porch as wide as the house itself, maybe saving about $40-80 worth of concrete.

Another possibility is that the builder could've instead wrapped the columns with a different trim, but they used whatever was on hand and/or cheap.

What did your home inspector tell you? You did hire one....didn't you? And I know that column looks spiffy, but that gap between the Azek and the concrete is going to get water into it, and while there's probably a pressure treated 4x4 in there, it'll rot over time regardless. Seal that gap with some silicone.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:25 PM

I must say, reading some of the posts attempting to explain why or how this could have happened is painful, ignorance and guesswork at it best.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
Showed the picture to my son, an architect specializing in home design. Ha assured me that this was not a structural concern, purely aesthetic.

Afterward we had a little chuckle.

3 1/2 years ago as we were finishing up our house (we had a general contractor, but we were watching things per our contract), I happened to stop in one evening to look around. The concrete installer had been there that day to form up the front porch slab and the garage apron. The pour was scheduled for the next day. I thought things looked a little "off" on the front porch. I got a step ladder and a plumb bob out and determined that the forms ended 4inches shy of the front corners of the porch beam in both directions and at both ends of the porch. If it had been poured that way, the 4 x 4 posts at each corner would not have even touched the concrete slab. I contacted my son, who contacted the GC to make him aware of the issue. We figured it was much easier to correct the problem by resetting the forms before pouring than to pour and then have to figure out how to adequately fix the issue.

The next day when we got to the house, we found that ALL the forms, for both slabs had been removed from the property and the concrete installer had informed the GC that if we were going to be that "picky", he could not work for us and he would not be returning.

The worst part was, the GC supported the concrete installer and things went downhill from there. In the end, GC sued us for breach of contract, we countersued, and after almost 2 years, we finally settled in mediation to be able to get clear title in order to be able to complete some things that the GC failed to do. (Long story)

Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,558,147 times
Quote:
I must say, reading some of the posts attempting to explain why or how this could have happened is painful, ignorance and guesswork at it best.
I don't think people are explaining "how/why this could have happened". I think they are just answering the question from the OP: does the column mis-allign need to be fixed?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I don't think people are explaining "how/why this could have happened". I think they are just answering the question from the OP: does the column mis-allign need to be fixed?
I understand and guess I need to be more tolerant since people are voicing their opinions/suggestions as to why this happened and all people have the right to comment regardless of their specific understanding.

The column placements boils down to a stupid mistake and the end columns should have been placed just a few inches towards the center of the house. Whoever located/installed them had not considered the base trim thickness and that is what overhangs the concrete slab.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Quote:
Whoever located/installed them had not considered the base trim thickness and that is what overhangs the concrete slab.

I can pull hundreds of plans right now out of my files right now of houses that have porches and the porch dimensions are exactly the same as the framing box of the porch roof. Front elevations show columns directly on corners- and of course trim details. Those "details" will almost always fall under a CAD operators discretion to ignore.

3/4"-1" is not the end of the world, but it's an annoyance to people who see slight details overlooked. But, you certainly can't blame it on subcontractors that are "following the plan".

...and as a side note- I certainly wouldn't move the column over the 3/4-1" for the sake of the concrete porch- it'll look evening weirder from the street because the column isn't "aligned" properly.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,558,147 times
I think for me, the reason why it is misaligned I guess is because that is where the support to the roof is most efficient. Moving it to align may move it away from the center of support. If my hunch is right, keep the column and if it is still bothering the OP, maybe look into aligning the base instead to the column.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I think for me, the reason why it is misaligned I guess is because that is where the support to the roof is most efficient. Moving it to align may move it away from the center of support. If my hunch is right, keep the column and if it is still bothering the OP, maybe look into aligning the base instead to the column.
Not true, there has to be a Continueous beam along the front porch columns that picks up half of the roof load. The columns are spaced structurally to take the dead and live loads. Moving any one or two of the columns several inches wound definitely not change anything structurally.

To move the columns after all of the finish work has been completed, as it is would be crazy. If it’ really a visual problem that bothers the owner, the base trim could be removed and replaced with a thinner material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House