Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 PM

17,120 posts, read 11,966,756 times

Advertisements

We almost just bought one like that. We just saw it as a positive. Easy to let the dogs out on a lazy morning. But home invasion/violent crime is unheard of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM

18,801 posts, read 27,239,215 times
None. And make sure doors swing out, not in. I have them, double doors. For one, we never use them. next, they swing in, so I had to do miracles of sealing, or it WILL let rain in, when we get storms and rain flies parallel to the ground right into the doors and windows in them.

Easy to break in. Pretty but useless.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,138,179 times
Our master bedroom is on ground level. Not with a door, but with one window at a height that you could crawl in and another window that you could crawl into with a little bit of effort or a stepladder. I don't worry about it and even leave windows open on nice nights; always have. We live in a safe suburb, but of course people always say "Nothing like that ever happens here" when something does happen in a safe suburb.

If someone tries to come in the window off of the deck, they are in for a surprise because they will fall right down the stairs to the basement.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,694,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Easier to get out in a fire.

If you fight with your spouse or SO, you can pitch their stuff out the door in a fit of rage. Much more dramatic than carrying it down stairs and through the living room to pitch it out. By the third or fifth trip your rage will have subsided and you will feel silly.

Much much easier to get large items in and out, especially mattresses and box springs.

With a screen door it will make for nice fresh air in the warm season.

Ideal for teenagers sneaking in or out without waking anyone up. they will do it anyway, why not make it easy for them?

I do not think it makes any difference whatsoever for security purposes. Never heard of a home invader who was afraid of stairs or hallways. Maybe there is one someplace. If you get that guy, then you will be safer without a door directly to your bedroom.

If it is a sliding glass door and in the front of the house, I might have concerns about privacy.
Ooh...another plus. If your dog makes pre-puking noises in the middle of the night, much easier and faster to let him out.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:33 PM

6,707 posts, read 4,691,464 times
I lived in a house where two of the bedrooms had doors to the outside. It was great. If I were building a house I would be sure to do that for the master suite. I wouldn't want children or teenagers to have a door to the outside, at least not without an alarm system that only I could operate.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:26 AM

7,215 posts, read 6,991,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You had it all wrong! I fixed it for you-
How rude.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times
We have house in DFW TX area and one in FL
FL is one story--sliders in master to lanai...
DFW has door right outside bedroom to patio

House we owned before was one story with door from bathroom to deck

It is all matter of what you are used to

Builder we knew in our TX area said new client was woman who told him she wanted her master on second floor --- not the normal/expected design for that area at that time
She was from LA and said she didn't feel safe w/master on first floor
Our part of DFW area is VERY SAFE--I mean the number of rapes/murders by strangers can be counted on half fingers of one hand...

So she was bringing her paranoia to her new area
Believe me in my TX area (and likely in FL with its % of seniors) having a master on second floor is not desirable feature...

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,809,210 times
Some of you would hate my home then, we have 4 sliding doors on the main level including one in the master bedroom. I guess I would be a bit concerned if our neighborhood was crime ridden but it's not. Plus if a crook wants to get in, they'll find a way. I love the full view and easy access to the backyard.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,545,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Or, in our AZ home, coming in from the pool or spa directly through the bedroom patio door and not dripping all the way down the hall. Four of the five bedrooms open onto patios.

Anyone breaking into an AZ home is likely to be met by a homeowner with a gun.

In our Silicon Valley two-story house, at night I mentally rehearse escaping through a window onto the roof, then climbing down a tree. If I ever have to do it, odds are I'll fall and end up with a broken ankle or two.
I've imagined that same escape route for decades. Then, one day, our landscapers cut back that tree to a knub. It never grew back.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,686,078 times
If someone wants to get in, they'll get in, whether it's a window or a door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House