Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times

Advertisements

We have, from my wife's folks, the nearly complete set of Guardian Service aluminum ware from the late '30s. This stuff works great and it's amazing that nothing sticks to it. We have everything in this brochure except the kettle oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Your parents' cookware-guardian1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 04:36 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I have used Revere Ware for about 55 years (first my mom's and then my own), and "love" it. I also like Farberware.

One thing I wish they would still make is the aluminum griddle that is NOT self-stick. My husband and I finally bought a Vollrath griddle because we absolutely HATE the non-stick griddles.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2368714...BoCYYAQAvD_BwE

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/vol...hoCJGQQAvD_BwE

Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Of course, as a kid, you never think about this. My mom had the same cookware until she died. "Revereware" with the copper-clad bottoms. It was rather thin, but I don't remember her struggling with baked-on/burnt-on pans, like I have my whole life. This cookware lasted so long, now my sister has it.

OTOH, I have gone through innumerable styles of cookware that have come and gone. Right now I have the usual non-stick (all of which sticks like the dickens), "Extremaware"---ceramic, expensive and worthless, cast-iron, La Creuset. You name it.

Did your mom have the same cookware for life? I guess I should have bought Revere stuff, since nothing lasts for me.
I bought RevereWare as my first cookware and still have several pieces, including the water kettle that is the same as the one my mom had. It has stood the test of time.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
I have gotten rid of most of my old Revere ware - I have ONE small pot left, and a cupcake tin that I WISH I could find another of (it's a 6-cupcake tin, stainless). I think the other pots got sent to the camper. I've picked up nice replacements at Home Goods/TJ Max over the years, I simply liked what I found enough to replace the old ones - wasn't necessarily looking to replace them though. Revereware was always good stuff. I do have quite a bit of Farberware still - great pots and pans. It's really hard to beat a good stainless piece. I do have a nice All-Clad pan (bought on eBay) and some other cool pieces. I'm kind of a cookware junky though I have almost succeeded in killing that habit. LOL

Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,754,482 times
My parents used assorted pans through the years, but nothing that lasted other than cast iron.

At age 30 I got a promotion at work and I treated myself to a set of Cuisinart stainless 18/10 with copper sandwich on the bottom. They had a 50 year warranty on them at the time and I joked they would take us to age 80. Well, we have 15 years to go and they still look good.

We also bought a nesting set of Cuisinart 18/10 stainless with copper sandwich core and detachable handles to use on our sailboat 10 years later. The footprint was small with 3 saucepans fitting inside a 5 quart pot, one lid with indentation rings to fit all the saucepans and a nonstick skillet that acted as a lid for the larger pot along with two detachable handles.

We started snowbirding, sold the sail boat and brought the nesting set to our second home to use. We sold our first house and brought the original Cuisinart set with us. It’s in the pantry on a shelf and I do use some of the pieces, but the nesting set gets most of the use now.

The build quality is great on those two sets.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-15-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Yea for stainless, you gotta stick with 18/10.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:34 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
My mother had a full set of steel pots and pans with a nonstick surface that flaked off over the years. Makes me wonder what we ingested. She also had an electric frying pan, which was what she used when she first started stir-frying. Ah, and the pressure cooker. She used that a lot. It always scared me.

I use cast iron most of the time- a 1950s vintage Griswold set I bought off e-Bay- and the Revere Ware that late DH brought into the marriage.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My mother had a full set of steel pots and pans with a nonstick surface that flaked off over the years. Makes me wonder what we ingested. She also had an electric frying pan, which was what she used when she first started stir-frying. Ah, and the pressure cooker. She used that a lot. It always scared me.

I use cast iron most of the time- a 1950s vintage Griswold set I bought off e-Bay- and the Revere Ware that late DH brought into the marriage.
I have a love hate relationship with cast iron. My pan has domed, so it’s not flat anymore, and a friend tried to “blacken” fish, and screwed up the finish. I also have weak hands due to arthritis.

Maybe the next time I run into the local hardware, I’ll pick up a two handled skillet and start over.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

727 posts, read 715,470 times
I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread, but will add to the old Revere rep. I still have several pieces of probably 50 year old Revere that were in daily use until a few years ago. The house we bought has a glass cooktop, and the copper bottoms tended to "dance" around on it. I can still use the insert for the double boiler, a couple of the stainless bottom ones (newer I think), and the frying pan lids but that's all until I replace that stove with one that has coils.

Is it the glass cooktop, or just a crappy stove that causes the problem? I can't take the stove seriously, since it has a "chicken nuggets" setting......

I also use cast iron on the glass top, just careful not to slide it around.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
My mom had revereware for the longest time but now she uses less of it it seems. She said it eventually began to wear out where the handles wouldn't stay and they couldn't get them tight again.

Cast Iron she inherited from her mother.

That said, my mom did struggle with stuff that would stick on pans, no matter what kind if was if she was cooking was something likely to stick, it would stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House