Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times

Advertisements

When you use your dishwasher and it runs through its cycle, does it ever make a similar sound to the horn beep? If so, maybe the electronics are sensitive to the cold. While it is cold in the house, does the dishwasher work normally? Will it come on, etc? Do you have an electronic timer on your stove?

We once had a microwave that would beep spontaneously when it was cold in the house and it would not work until the house warmed up. We got rid of it eventually, but it had to be unplugged when the temp dropped in the house, or it would start beeping in the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Thanks for your tip but no, it does not - I run the dishwasher probably every 2 weeks..

I agree that electronics do strange things (and this is a dishwasher that was replaced) - my oven also turns on the oven light when there is a power outage or brief blip and it comes back on.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
  • Do you leave your cellphone sit on the counter or table in the kitchen?
  • With the galley kitchen, what is on the other sides of the walls, also above and below the kitchen area?
  • Is this a single unit housing?
  • Are any of the walls exterior, and are there any “utilities” that are next to the outside of the wall? I’m thinking gas meter, electric power-line with meter, telecommunications termination, or water meter on the external wall to the kitchen?
And did you try removing the furnace filter yet, if so was there any change?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
  • Do you leave your cellphone sit on the counter or table in the kitchen?
  • With the galley kitchen, what is on the other sides of the walls, also above and below the kitchen area?
  • Is this a single unit housing?
  • Are any of the walls exterior, and are there any “utilities” that are next to the outside of the wall? I’m thinking gas meter, electric power-line with meter, telecommunications termination, or water meter on the external wall to the kitchen?
And did you try removing the furnace filter yet, if so was there any change?
* - no cellphone on the counter
* - the other side of the wall is the outside no anything on the outer wall, above is wall cabinet, above and to right - garden window, below is basement which is unfinished but that side of basement has a laundry tub and the washer and dryer
* - haven't tried the filter removal yet - it's been so cold that the furnace runs almost continuously and I've had to have to heat turned up higher than usual at night to prevent frozen pipes, some neighbors w/same house style and construction have had frozen pipes already - on the plus side - no "toot" since it stays warmer

Thanks so much for asking, appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Just thought of this (could be way off the mark...)

Does anything in your system have a fan belt of some sort? Perhaps when the blower or other component kicks on, the belt is a little loose (or worn) and screeches at startup. I've heard some before that could have a "horn" sound. When you mentioned dryer, it reminded me of an old dryer that I had that "honked" when the motor started up.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM

I don't know what the "guts" of the system look like - I have central air and gas furnace humidifier - thanks though. It's something related to cold temps. (what I've narrowed it down to so far, LOL)

Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Well - I lied, LOL - it does still "honk/toot" - I guess I didn't notice or wasn't in the room earlier but right after my previous post I heard it.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Is the kitchen sink stainless steel? And how far away from the dishwasher?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 AM

The sink is porcelain coated steel and it's right next to the dishwasher - I've been listening to the sound all morning (couldn't rep you again) - there is first the small popping sound (sounds like the noise a plastic water bottle makes if you squeezed it and it pops back, if that makes sense) while the furnace is running - then about 2 mins. or so after the furnace stops running I get the "horn toot" - and I tried remove the filter for a while, no change.

It's a mystery, LOL

Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 AM

^^^ Just out of curiosity try something that sounds stupid – fill the sink ½ full of water. This will add weight to it; the sound might change during any expanding / contracting that would go on during the temperature change in the area.

ps
Oh, I forgot to ask - does this happen at anytime during the day/night when the furnace is on? And can you turn the furnace blower fan on without the gas heat on? My thermostat allows the blower only fan to run without adding heat/cooling. I'm thinking of the simple "air exchange" issue that might be part of the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House