Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 01:46 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

In the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, our house had a drop on one side of four of inches. During the fix — the house was made more level.

But.

Our lath and plaster walls cracked. We’ve had a number of small shakers on the Hayward fault, too, so the cracking has become more noticeable. On this paint job, I thought by filling the cracks, this would make it look fine. Didn’t work. It’s character.

The plaster is still tightly keyed to the lath, so the idea of removing the lath and plaster and using drywall is a no go. Besides in a couple of years we’ll be selling and the next person will gut the place to HGTV it. Everyone is doing it, and it’s NOT to my liking.

And all the fixes I’ve seen are geared to fixing unkeyed plaster. Mine just looks like I should faux marble it and no one would noticethe cracks ...maybe next painting I should go with a couple of skim coats of plaster?

Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I was reading about cracks. Elastomeric caulk is said to work well as it is paintable and flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 AM

478 posts, read 417,981 times
What do you mean by:

Quote:
On this paint job, I thought by filling the cracks, this would make it look fine. Didn’t work.
What was used to fill the cracks, and how did it not work?

I was working as a painter through college around the time of the Loma Prieta quake down in the South Bay and Peninsula and we did a ton of work patching and hiding cracks - I can't think of many times that it "didn't work".

Elastomeric Caulk does work, but it takes an experienced hand to get it to blend right on an interior repair - well, pretty much all plaster cracks take some work to get to look right, but it can be done.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, our house had a drop on one side of four of inches. During the fix — the house was made more level.

But.

Our lath and plaster walls cracked. We’ve had a number of small shakers on the Hayward fault, too, so the cracking has become more noticeable. On this paint job, I thought by filling the cracks, this would make it look fine. Didn’t work. It’s character.

The plaster is still tightly keyed to the lath, so the idea of removing the lath and plaster and using drywall is a no go. Besides in a couple of years we’ll be selling and the next person will gut the place to HGTV it. Everyone is doing it, and it’s NOT to my liking.

And all the fixes I’ve seen are geared to fixing unkeyed plaster. Mine just looks like I should faux marble it and no one would noticethe cracks ...maybe next painting I should go with a couple of skim coats of plaster?

Lincrusta

https://lincrusta.com/dado-panels/

Old 01-29-2019, 11:14 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
What do you mean by:

What was used to fill the cracks, and how did it not work?

I was working as a painter through college around the time of the Loma Prieta quake down in the South Bay and Peninsula and we did a ton of work patching and hiding cracks - I can't think of many times that it "didn't work".

Elastomeric Caulk does work, but it takes an experienced hand to get it to blend right on an interior repair - well, pretty much all plaster cracks take some work to get to look right, but it can be done.
I used spackle. Filled nail holes, small but long cracks. But it’s like there are levels. Like there’s the crack, and the left side is lifted or the right side receded. When I press on the sides, there is no movement on the plaster part of the wall, like you’d expect with unkeyed plaster, which I have felt. The wall doesn’t look level or flat.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:33 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are also similar products with a smooth finish that can help bridge areas that have buckled which is what the OP describes just above; search for "wall lining paper." Sanding down high areas would be an essential part of releveling a wall surface as much as filling in low areas would be.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
I used spackle. Filled nail holes, small but long cracks. But it’s like there are levels. Like there’s the crack, and the left side is lifted or the right side receded. When I press on the sides, there is no movement on the plaster part of the wall, like you’d expect with unkeyed plaster, which I have felt. The wall doesn’t look level or flat.
If there are many hairline cracks, the best solution might be to apply a thin coat of plaster on all of the walls that have cracked. You would first apply a bonding agent with a roller and then plaster the entire wall from corner to corner, floor to ceiling. Obviously any uneven areas due to the settlement/cracking would be addressed individually before applying the finish plaster coating.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 PM

478 posts, read 417,981 times
Quote:
It’s going to take a combination of sanding and joint compound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House