Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times

Advertisements

Where is the dryer?
Dryer vents often tick as they swing in the wind. I'd go around to where the vent exits the house and listen there. Could be the sound is radiating through the vent pipe and makes a sound that is best heard in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM

841 posts, read 552,824 times
Anything on a timer? Exhaust fan or attic vent?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:05 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
I have clicking in bathroom but it happens when toilet flushed or bathtub is drained so I assume it's water moving through the pipes. Old house?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,823 times
My money would be on pipe strapping if hot water was used.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
this is like watching CLUE! Only nobody dies.... yet. Have you had anybody LOOK IN THE CEILING YET?

Old 01-29-2019, 02:30 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
Have you looked around the outside walls of the bathroom for any clue?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
What do we win if we solve the mystery? Did you already tell us what's directly above your bathroom? (roof, bedroom, skylight, etc)

Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
I'm reading lots of good ideas from you all. Thanks. I have not looked behind the ceiling because it is tall and the only way to get in there is to take something down, like a light or vent or something. Again, I'm pretty sure it is not dripping for reasons given upthread. Not a dryer vent since dryer is at opposite end of house. One story house, so only empty space is above the bath ceiling as far as I know. House built in 2000. The idea of a flap that is meant to keep outside air from entering a pipe sounds reasonable. But how annoying! Is there a better design? I'm ready to rip it off. And I wish I knew if there was a timer to something up there. This is a new to me house and I have no idea what evil lurks. But if it delivered a burst of scent I would have really gone crazy. Yuck.

Did I mention that the sound is very regular? Just like the second hand on a clock only quicker. And when I said it goes for 24/7 I should have been more accurate and said it does rarely stop for maybe 15 secs and then start up again. When that happens I have to ask myself if I'm NOT imagining the sound, that is imagining the quiet. Hopefully I can find someone to take a look at it but it will probably need to be an add on to a larger project to get someone willing to spend the time.

And the prize for getting it right? C-D bragging rights of course!

Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
Try shutting of the electric for the whole house - if the noise stops, it's due to something electric in the ceiling (fan, timer, etc.)

Try shutting off the water to the house a on a dry day when there has not been rain in a few days. This is to eliminate the chance that it is a plumbing leak or a roofing leak.

Is there no other way to get above the ceiling - a hatch in a closet to get into the attic to investigate?

If it's constant 24 /7 I would assume it's not a pipe that is strapped too tightly, a vent that is moving, or a leak of any kind. Could it be a mechanical battery operated clock, mounted somewhere that is telegraphing its noise to the bathroom?

Old 01-29-2019, 06:02 PM

118 posts, read 85,983 times
Two things to try. Turn off the circuit breaker that supplies power to the bathroom. Does the noise stop? There may be several breakers for the bathroom. Have you zeroed in on the exact location of the sound? The bathroom sure... but exactly where? Take a length of tubing and put it to your ear. Move the tubing around poking it here and there. It gets louder you found the spot. You can buy a cheap automotive stethoscope at an auto parts store. I have used those to find weird engine noises for years.

One more thing. Is your water heater on a timer? Some are so it runs at times when electricity is cheaper. Maybe you are hearing that if it is.

TU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House