Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:17 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Okay. I just did a little research out of curiosity. It says they first showed up in the States on the mid-Atlantic seaboard and now they have been spotted in MN and other places.

https://www.pestworld.org/news-hub/p...ugs-come-from/

The article says they can smell and taste bad. Who in the world had to figure that out?
Well, I remember stink bugs when I was a kid growing up in North Texas, 50 years ago.

I see that the article refers to one specific species. We probably had a different species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 07:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Whats the big deal with stink bugs?

I never had them until I moved to my house in 2015 and saw a few.

At first I freaked out.

But then I realized- they don't stink, they don't bite, they don't destroy anything. They are sort of dumb and just sit there and do nothing.

So everytime I see one, I just pick them up and throw them outside. They are so dumb, they can't even land properly when you throw them.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Yeah, I can't understand why anyone actually gets upset over this. No matter where you live, unless you live in Antarctica, there will be insects. They are part of the natural world. Unless they are directly harming you, just leave them alone.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 AM

193 posts, read 69,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We are in Boston and have them as well. usually I find 3 or 4 per day. In fact our town's facebook group was having a laugh about how many there are right now. I don't mind them. And my kids love them--they pick them up every single time they see one.
Lol, I love this post. We are in the STL area and have been having quite the time with these little buggers, seems they are coming from the unfinished basement as far as I can tell. I normally flush them down the toilet when I find them but maybe I should just take this approach as they don't really seem to be hurting anything...although I did wake up to find one crawling on my face

Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Our stinkbugs here are pretty good sized but yes, harmless. They do emit an odor when startled but it's not exactly a "stink." Big, black ,slow and plodding they are easily picked up and put outside. They only get in the house by accident preferring to make their merry in the sand. The smell they put out must deter predators cuz the birds pass them up. It's an odd odor. Not stinging or just plumb YUCK but whatever is in it seems to work.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Whats the big deal with stink bugs?

I never had them until I moved to my house in 2015 and saw a few.

At first I freaked out.

But then I realized- they don't stink, they don't bite, they don't destroy anything. They are sort of dumb and just sit there and do nothing.

So everytime I see one, I just pick them up and throw them outside. They are so dumb, they can't even land properly when you throw them.
I laughed at this. My stinkbug was drinking water out of the cat's dish at the top of the basement stairs. I picked him up on a piece of paper and put him back down in the cellar where I supposed he came from.

Poor little critter just couldn't get his footing and needed help getting upright. That's a poorly designed chassis.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I laughed at this. My stinkbug was drinking water out of the cat's dish at the top of the basement stairs. I picked him up on a piece of paper and put him back down in the cellar where I supposed he came from.

Poor little critter just couldn't get his footing and needed help getting upright. That's a poorly designed chassis.
These bugs seem to have no survival instinct/defense capability except for the stink (which I have never smelled). Every other insect will run/fly away/sting you if you try to smash them. So like you, I feel bad for these bugs and just pick em up and put them outside.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:24 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
We have had them for years, can't stop them, can't find out how they get in. We make traps out of water bottles (cut the top off and flip it upside down, tape around it). They are dumb and are easy to catch, just flick them into the bottle.

They are disgusting and most times we won't see them flying, we just turn around and there's one right next to us. Or I'll smell one and can't find it and keep searching until I see it.

Once my husband told me to come in and look on the back side of the curtains in our sunny bedroom, it was full of stinkbugs nestled in every fold! Took our water bottle trap and got all of them in a few seconds.

We have bought traps and sprays, nothing seems to help. It's usually 1-4 a day. And we do live in the woods, so that doesn't help.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
We aren't seeing any now--fall and spring seems to be the time.

Here, they were getting in via the rear garage service door, as there's an apple orchard behind us. We just squirted diatomaceous earth above the door, and that dries them to a crisp.

We've seen very few in the house, but I know for a fact that they'll hitch a ride in, if they can. Once, I was fumbling with the key to enter the house through the garage, and one landed on me. I looked up, and about 5 of them were on the door entry.

They hate lavender spray, BTW. I put the cat tree in front of the door, then raise the storm pane for the cat. Occasionally, I'll notice him pawing at the screen, and there will be a SB on the outside of the screen. I squirt lavender spray on its underside, and it backs off about 10 feet lol. Lavender plants don't deter them, though, because they're growing all over the front of the yard.

They're harmless, and their torpor makes them easy to catch, but they're a HUGE agricultural pest.

Miserable things.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:29 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We have bought traps and sprays, nothing seems to help. It's usually 1-4 a day. And we do live in the woods, so that doesn't help.
I live next to the woods as well, but interestingly a lot of the trees that were there were cut down this fall. So I wonder if that didn't displace them and send them running for my place.

It is weird that the bugs seem to come in a pattern. I don't see them any time in the day but at night, when I first go up to my bedroom. My bedroom is on the western side of the building and I wonder if they don't follow the sun.

It is a super bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House