Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 11:20 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Seriously? If you don't want to ever hear anyone make noise, then you need to live off the grid in the mountains, not in a subdivision. Or live in a retirement community where no one ever goes outside.
Just making a comment that it is noisy to live right beside all of that going on. Luckily I am not right next to it so my noise level is fine, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
I would be happy to hear the sound kids actually excercising and having fun outside instead of them being glued to games on the computer.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Enjoying the thread. Have lived in 3 HOA communities - NY, FL and now GA.

NY was run by Nazis, as was FL. In FL the CC&Rs were extensive and they kept on adding rules.

In GA it’s common sense - basic standards, quick architectural approval, no crazy camera-happy neighbors. CC&Rs are a fraction of Florida’s.

Net-net - read the docs before buying, and if it looks complex and if the rules are extensive, buyer beware.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Even worse than the sound of the ball bouncing, is the constant crash off of the backboard of the hoop. We have a basketball court in our condo community and it is amazing how far that noise carries. I feel sorry for the people who have to live right beside it. It is noisy.
As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be no rule against bouncing the ball, just the hoop.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Enjoying the thread. Have lived in 3 HOA communities - NY, FL and now GA.

NY was run by Nazis, as was FL. In FL the CC&Rs were extensive and they kept on adding rules.

In GA it’s common sense - basic standards, quick architectural approval, no crazy camera-happy neighbors. CC&Rs are a fraction of Florida’s.

Net-net - read the docs before buying, and if it looks complex and if the rules are extensive, buyer beware.
Even if you read the rules, still have the potential for them to interpret the rules as they see fit, and even better, unequal enforcement of the rules.

My mom use to live in such HOA, they would have their favorite homeowners where the rules would never get applied, and they would have the ones they disliked and nitpicked everything.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When our kiddos were in late elementary school, middle school and high school, we lived in a rather snobby subdivision. There were control freaks every where.

We had a portable basketball hoop and my kids, their friends and husband enjoyed it. We had a skate board ramp, and kids and friends had a good time with it. We had a tree house built in the back yard and let the kids and their friends paint it. We thought it looked cool - they decided to paint it with van Gogh's "Starry Nights" colors. - shades of blue, indigo, purple and yellow gold and white stars.

It really was magnificent!

Our property was professionally cared for. Our yard was neat. Sometimes kids left bikes, balls, skateboards, helmets and other things, outside They were put away at night.

One day we received an anonymous, poorly written and laughable letter signed "Your neighbors in Salem Woods".

They complained of too many kids. They hated the tree house. They complained about the "toys" in the driveway and on the porch.

There was NO HOA. We complied with all of the rules of our township.

They also demanded to know how many people lived in the 4300 sq. ft. dwelling and who the "old lady was
Also how many kids we had. The "old lady" was my beloved mother in law. I was involved with hosting Ukrainian orphans and matching them to American families.

NOTHING we did was against the law. Yet they watched us constantly and called police when the kids set up a lemonade stand. The police laughed and basically recommended that they move to one of the several gated communities in our area.

Living near people like that is hellish.
I would immediately use that letter as kindling to start my fireplace and go on living my life. Unless the township had a code violation to come see me who lives or plays at my house isn’t my neighbors business.

Unfortunately in a HOA you have a whole lot more rules and busy bodies to deal with. I lived in a HOA. As long as as you know how to deal with bureaucracy and bureaucratic types.
We’re going to a meeting with the HOA on a issue. I like my rentals in HOAs

Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be no rule against bouncing the ball, just the hoop.
I didn't say there were. I'm just commenting on how noisy they are.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When our kiddos were in late elementary school, middle school and high school, we lived in a rather snobby subdivision. There were control freaks every where.

We had a portable basketball hoop and my kids, their friends and husband enjoyed it. We had a skate board ramp, and kids and friends had a good time with it. We had a tree house built in the back yard and let the kids and their friends paint it. We thought it looked cool - they decided to paint it with van Gogh's "Starry Nights" colors. - shades of blue, indigo, purple and yellow gold and white stars.

It really was magnificent!

Our property was professionally cared for. Our yard was neat. Sometimes kids left bikes, balls, skateboards, helmets and other things, outside They were put away at night.

One day we received an anonymous, poorly written and laughable letter signed "Your neighbors in Salem Woods".

They complained of too many kids. They hated the tree house. They complained about the "toys" in the driveway and on the porch.

There was NO HOA. We complied with all of the rules of our township.

They also demanded to know how many people lived in the 4300 sq. ft. dwelling and who the "old lady was
Also how many kids we had. The "old lady" was my beloved mother in law. I was involved with hosting Ukrainian orphans and matching them to American families.

NOTHING we did was against the law. Yet they watched us constantly and called police when the kids set up a lemonade stand. The police laughed and basically recommended that they move to one of the several gated communities in our area.

Living near people like that is hellish.
People like that do not have a HEART!

This is a story about my childhood, over 60 years ago. (It probably belongs in P&C forum, because it is one of those things that I am not proud of today. Probably would prevent me from running for political office today )

We had a neighbor like that. She always called the police (who usually ended up playing with us) If a ball went in her yard she would scream "stay out" and go get it her self, and KEEP IT.

Don't even talk about Halloween, Hanukkah or Christmas - Screamed at us on Halloween and called homeowners and police that holiday lights kept her up

I could go on forever. She was a total B***H

I know that I was somewhere between 8-11, because we moved before I turned 12

She was an old maid who lived with her old maid sister. One day we saw the two of the driving out and "lo and behold" she left her hose attached to the spigot.

We broke her basement window and ran the hose inside and turned the water on all the way (what did we know, we were kids

Just so happens that they were leaving on a 3 week trip

We could go swimming in the basement by the time they got home

She called the police and every homeowner, no one knew anything (our parents sure didn't because we wouldn't sit for a month.) Because of our fear of our father's belts, not one of us ever said a word. (I think this is the first time that I ever told anyone)

She has to be dead by now,and if not, the statute of limitations is long passed

Old 02-03-2019, 02:24 PM

213 posts, read 157,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
And it will cost homeowners thousands of dollars in attorneys fees.
"The sad part is nobody wins," said association president Lanier Jones. "But I would say that the homeowners are victorious in doing what they set out to do. There are nine of us on that street.

I hope it really is thousands out of pocket every year for those 8 homeowners (besides the defendant). Even if what the guy did was against the rules, how far does something proceed before a handful of people wake up and realize it's not worth fighting our neighbor in court and wasting thousands of dollars.

Now, everybody loses... Well, except for the lawyers who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Even if you read the rules, still have the potential for them to interpret the rules as they see fit, and even better, unequal enforcement of the rules.

My mom use to live in such HOA, they would have their favorite homeowners where the rules would never get applied, and they would have the ones they disliked and nitpicked everything.
Don’t disagree, but there are rules and there are rules.

A rule like “garbage cans must be placed so they aren’t visible on the street when not pickup day and need to be put away within 24 hours following pickup” is one thing. Common sense.

A rule like “garage doors shall be closed at all times” is another. I used to argue with my HOA management company in Florida that nobody could ever leave - how could you drive your car out if they needed to be closed “at all times”? That is an example of poor wording.

Also in Florida there used to be nosy neighbors driving around and taking pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House