Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have replaced maybe a dozen here in California...

Each one comes in just under 60 feet which is good because 3/4 soft L copper comes in 60' rolls.

It was very simple if a bit messy...

Meters in the sidewalk and gate valve at the house.

I attached the new copper to the old galvanized and litterlly plulled out the galvanized with my truck and the copper slipped in right behind... slow and steady with two helpers... one to watch the pipe coming out and the other to uncoil the coiled copper going in...

The only time I had trouble was in the summer when the ground was hard as a rock...

In wet season the dirt is soft and the pipes generally only 1' below the surface... sidewalks, driveways no problem... less than $200 in material and a Saturday...
I'd be worried about something pulling loose. But if it works for you, it sounds like the efficient way to do it. I guess if the string does pull apart, you can measure and figure out where to dig, and digging one hole is easier than digging a whole trench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I had a water leak next to the driveway, and asked the plumber what he would have had to do if it was under the driveway. He said he'd just use the old pipe to pull the new pipe through.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think the OP needs to replace the line from the water meter to the house, going through the yard and under a driveway. How did excavating the street get into this?
It shouldn’t have, homeowners utility responsibility is almost always from the property line to their house.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It shouldn’t have, homeowners utility responsibility is almost always from the property line to their house.
From the sidewalk demarc, if there is one. OTOH, I lived in a small CA city about ten years ago, just as we were preparing to put the house on the market, and the feed line gave out and turned the front yard into a soft swamp. The city considered the demarc at the front house valve and replaced the line and repaired the lawn at no cost.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
During the massive run of replacing "blue poly" there were several companies that used an ingenious process for replacing the line. There was no trenching, digging, hydro-boring, etc.

Disconnect the line @house and meter, fish a cable through from the street to the house end. Then they connected a conical "ripper" and the new poly line (this poly doesn't have the inherent problems that the old blue poly had) to the end of the cable and pull the ripper through the old line- at the same time pulling the new line through. Essentially, the ripper would cut the old line and spread it apart enough so the new line would slip right through. They would usually use the truck to pull the cable- some used a winch.

You would be back up and running in less than three hrs- and the only "digging" was a couple of small holes at the meter and right at the house- fast, easy, and a Helluva lot less than trenching, gluing up sections of PVC, or worse yet- copper- from a price standpoint.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Then they connected a conical "ripper" and the new poly line...
That's pretty cool. I imagine it had some... interesting failures from time to time.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had a water leak next to the driveway, and asked the plumber what he would have had to do if it was under the driveway. He said he'd just use the old pipe to pull the new pipe through.

It really does work well if conditions are right.

In my area the utility owns to the meter... and meters in residential are always curbside.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
From the sidewalk demarc, if there is one. OTOH, I lived in a small CA city about ten years ago, just as we were preparing to put the house on the market, and the feed line gave out and turned the front yard into a soft swamp. The city considered the demarc at the front house valve and replaced the line and repaired the lawn at no cost.
You definitely lucked out!

Now the utility companies are mailing notices every few months trying to sell monthly insurance to replace utility lines that are the homeowners responsibility, from the curb line to the house. I guesss someone figured out it’s a good way for them to generate more income.
The mailings are to ensure the homeowners know it’s their responsibility for that portion of the utility and hopefully freighten them into paying for insurance.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,134 times
Ideally I would like to fix the leak right next to the water meter. But professionals are telling me that might not be the only place where it is leaking so best is to cut off that line that goes from one side of the driveway on to the other side and then to the study room (home was built in the 80's). Instead they can run it straight down the lawn to the garage.

Thanks for the leads. I am getting quotes from multiple folks

Old 02-07-2019, 03:04 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Ideally I would like to fix the leak right next to the water meter. But professionals are telling me that might not be the only place where it is leaking so best is to cut off that line that goes from one side of the driveway on to the other side and then to the study room (home was built in the 80's). Instead they can run it straight down the lawn to the garage.

Thanks for the leads. I am getting quotes from multiple folks

Can you fix the leak by the meter yourself and just see if that solves it? That could be a $20 fix, versus thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House