Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
In the poconos they put them like a foot below out in the field . ideally there should be no water in the field runs if everything is pitched right .. but over time the ground settles and the pipes shift and water gets trapped and freezes out in the field
His condition would have been better if it were a 4 inch waste line with good pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
don't use the antifreeze, it prevents freezing, it doesn't help thaw something already frozen. it won't mix with the frozen water until it thaws out and that would have fixed problem on its own

the steaming fix, not sure it is way to go, it will still refreeze if you get another winter blast, pipes are too high in soil to be insulated by the ground itself.

maybe you could dig down to it and wrap insulation around pipes if you didn't want to make it deeper.

The wierd thing is, this has never occured before. 17 years here, and the tanks are 10 years old. I think it is in part to the freak weather pattern of the last month. I will however look into digging the line deeper come spring.

Rickcin, this is very noob of me, but can I go from a 2 1/2" metal pipe to a 4" PVC?(I still need to find out how large the opening is on the drywell too)

Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Thanks for the advice so far.

Someone recomended pouring RV antifreeze down the drain. It is heavier and will work its way down the pipe.

Mathjack, when you say hundreds. Do you mean under $600? Under $1000?
Won't thaw anything.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:48 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice so far.

Someone recomended pouring RV antifreeze down the drain. It is heavier and will work its way down the pipe.

Mathjack, when you say hundreds. Do you mean under $600? Under $1000?
I think they were getting 750.00 back in 2012. But if you have pitch issues or clogs then it will just happen again..

The do that when they fix the issue.. they blast the field with portable steam shooters

Old 02-09-2019, 02:48 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
The wierd thing is, this has never occured before. 17 years here, and the tanks are 10 years old. I think it is in part to the freak weather pattern of the last month. I will however look into digging the line deeper come spring.
As suggested, check the pitch of the line. You don't want water standing in it even if it is deeper.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
If you could empty the line to the blockage- and we're assuming the blockage is in-fact ice- you could pour a calcium chloride/water solution down the drain- that will certainly melt the ice. The drawback is if the blockage is a solid 5' (your shortage to the well), it probably wouldn't sustain the heat long enough to melt the entire blockage.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM

If the frost level ( frozen ground ) is below the invert level of the pipe, you have little chance of defrosting the pipe until the air temperatures warms up.

It also depends if it’s just a low point that froze or if the entire length to the drywall is frozen.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:

Rickcin, this is very noob of me, but can I go from a 2 1/2" metal pipe to a 4" PVC?(I still need to find out how large the opening is on the drywell too)
this came to mind but check if there isn't a crack in line somewhere, cold air/water might be seeping into pipe to cause freezing

Going from one material to another, metal to pvc, sometimes doesn't work well because the materials expand/contract differently

the problem may have been 17 years in the making and just now become noticeable

Old 02-09-2019, 05:25 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Calcium chloride is a possibility, as suggested above. It shouldn't be as harsh on the bacteria as rock salt, and it is both exothermic and lowers the melting point. Hot water is not a great idea unless you have a way to constantly circulate it and reheat it. If you have access to the blockage from both ends, and an electric welder, you can do a trick with running the low voltage high current through the ice. Google how it is done, understand the risks, and be careful. The amount of steam needed would be significant, but is the safest option.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, A pvc pipe would be better for flow and frost protection however, pitch is a very important factor since running water is much less likely to freeze than sitting water. If the pipe has a god amount of continuous pitch, the water would flow into the drywall prior to freezing.

Just freezing this year, could have just been the perfect stormy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House