Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM

9,295 posts, read 8,203,406 times

Advertisements

I have had good luck with handymen who I've found through neighbor recommendations via NextDoor. If they are small jobs, they typically will charge by the hour. If they are larger jobs with a somewhat unknown number of total hours, they typically provide a quote based on the job itself. I would envision your scenario as the latter since you don't know how many hours this many involve. Give them a list, ask them how long it will take and to give you a quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM

22,920 posts, read 18,230,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes and with the correct craftsman, a carpenter for the trim and an electrician for the ceiling fans. Most advertised as a “Handyman” might be able to do many things but often not as well as a skilled tradesperson that are all specialized today. Usually less money & better results!
When my handyman and I discuss a project he tells me when a more specific professional would be better off doing it and that does include estimated time and costs. I know what he's licensed to perform and what he isn't (electrical, plumbing). I first heard about him through word of mouth in the neighborhood. Because we have a good working relationship I trust what he says. Repeat business and reputation matter to him. He might switch out one simple light fixture for another as long as it doesn't need any alteration to the wiring itself, but he will pass and recommend an electrician for something more complex or if he discovers an electrical Gordian Knot behind a switchplate (yeah, older house that has had quite a few of those "what the *&$# were they thinking?" moments).

IMHO this trust takes time to build. If I was hiring someone for the first time I would probably use them for something very simple and straightforward and not necessarily for something cosmetic I'm going to have to look at for years...they are on probation. Then, if all goes well, push the boundary more once I see the results of their work, attention to detail, responsiveness, need for any followup, general demeanor; do they arrive prepared with the right materials and tools, accounting for expenses and time, how they care about the surfaces in my home, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-12-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM

199 posts, read 156,814 times
I see no universe in which a contractor/"handyman" will do all that in 2 days. *Can* they? Maybe, if you have the surfaces prepped as needed and there are no surprises. Will they? Nope - especially if you're paying by the hour. I agree with others who have suggested to get bids for the individual jobs.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:35 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,942,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwrangler View Post
I see no universe in which a contractor/"handyman" will do all that in 2 days. *Can* they? Maybe, if you have the surfaces prepped as needed and there are no surprises. Will they? Nope - especially if you're paying by the hour. I agree with others who have suggested to get bids for the individual jobs.
I agree that it can't all be done in 2 days (as I said previously, agreeing with many other posters) -- but why would they avoid the job "especially if you're paying by the hour"? That implies that they know they will make more by charging by the job (so they will likely vastly overestimate the number of hours it will take, just in case anything weird comes up) -- which is why I gave specific examples of how that kind of pricing is often NOT a good deal for the consumer. So why would the OP want to get quotes for each individual job?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 PM

199 posts, read 156,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I agree that it can't all be done in 2 days (as I said previously, agreeing with many other posters) -- but why would they avoid the job "especially if you're paying by the hour"? That implies that they know they will make more by charging by the job (so they will likely vastly overestimate the number of hours it will take, just in case anything weird comes up) -- which is why I gave specific examples of how that kind of pricing is often NOT a good deal for the consumer. So why would the OP want to get quotes for each individual job?
I didn't say they'd avoid the job. I said they wouldn't get it done in 2 days, because there's incentive for them to do that if they're being paid by the hour.

Maybe she can get someone who will say, "I will get this checklist of stuff done in 3 days." Then that's basically a quote. If not, I like the relative stability of getting a quote for a specific job that breaks down the materials and labor. Sure, the actual bill can end up higher, but paying by the hour is just too open-ended for my comfort.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 PM

478 posts, read 413,310 times
Quote:
Literally every response has been “get a quote for the job” and let the OP decide. It doesn’t matter how many paragraphs you type. It’s the same answer over and over and over.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM

19,468 posts, read 22,373,264 times
My 20 yo son has a handyman business while he’s in college. He charges a tiered hourly rate based on complexity. General painting, yardwork etc- $15 an hour. Plumbing repairs, fixtures, similar things- $25. On a ladder or roof or other more hazardous issue- $30, and so forth.

If the guy is working, and most do not ‘play’ with time- they can be a bargain.

He also mainly does commercial work, cause dealing with homeowners can be a PITA.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-12-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Literally every response has been “get a quote for the job” and let the OP decide. It doesn’t matter how many paragraphs you type. It’s the same answer over and over and over.
<sigh> Yes. And all I have said, with specific examples, is that "get a quote for the job" is often NOT best for the customer in terms of the price paid. (In the post of mine that you quoted, I was simply puzzled by the way that poster worded things. At least he came back and tried to clarify.)

In any case, the OP hasn't come back, so who knows what she decided to do.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM

478 posts, read 413,310 times
Quote:
<sigh> Yes. And all I have said, with specific examples, is that "get a quote for the job" is often NOT best for the customer in terms of the price paid. (In the post of mine that you quoted, I was simply puzzled by the way that poster worded things. At least he came back and tried to clarify.)

In any case, the OP hasn't come back, so who knows what she decided to do.
You’ve found one case where it was better for you.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
You’ve found one case where it was better for you.
Um, no; as I wrote in post #27 of this thread,

Quote:
I have NEVER had a job come out cheaper by the project than by the hour, even when I have bought the materials (e.g. tile or disposal or whatever). ...
I then gave 2 very specific, very recent examples. But I've been a homeowner for close to 20 years now (2 different houses -- still own both, but the 1st is now a rental) so those were only 2 of the latest examples.

Of course I understand that a by-the-job bid might ultimately be cheaper if the workers run into problems and so the job takes a lot longer than expected. Of course that's the possibility that by-the-job quotes take into consideration, so they don't lose money. Perhaps I have been lucky and my jobs have ended up being relatively straightforward, so paying by the hour makes a lot more sense. (I also freely admit that I have been lucky in finding a great handyman company that charges a very reasonable rate -- usually $45/hour, but even less than that for non-skilled labor by a relative newcomer to their company.)

YMMV, as might the OP's, of course ... as I also think I've also said. I hope the OP comes back and lets us know what she decided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House