Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,151 times

Advertisements

I live in a new home (Tear down and rebuild on old foundation.) The house was finished last June. I am noticing problems that obviously need to be fixed, but am worried about how serious they are with our finances trying to recover from the move.

Problems:
1) Sagging floors. It feels like there is a central beam that goes through the middle of the house and the hardwood floor to the left sags noticeably. You can't really see it but can certainly feel it when you walk on that point. This happens not in the basement, but both on the main and second floor.

2) One place the floor has developed a serious squeak.

3) One place where there is a plank of flooring going perpendicular to the rest (top of stairs) it seems to have raised a few milimeters above the other flooring.

4) Cracks - There are a lot of cracks occuring between things like the molding and the ceiling, cabinets and the ceiling, built in shelves and the wall, etc. It looks like the seams were painted and are seperating slightly - I dont see any dry wall or ceiling cracks.

It is freezing cold, and its the first winter, in the boston area, so I did not know if maybe these are all happening just because of climate issues or if something bigger is going on. Any tips would be helpful.

I cant get some photos if it would help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:33 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
First off, I’m guessing you hired a (one) contractor who was responsible for the entire build of your new house?

And, the contractor built from plans and specs that were obtained from a registered architect and a construction permit was issued?

Is this the case?

Old 02-22-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
First off, I’m guessing you hired a (one) contractor who was responsible for the entire build of your new house?

And, the contractor built from plans and specs that were obtained from a registered architect and a construction permit was issued?

Is this the case?
The contractor had purchased the home and did the rebuild and we purchased it off him, I'm not 100% sure all the permits that went into things but the lawyer we had for the purchase signed off that all permits/laws were followed and valid.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Just curious. Do you know whether a structural engineer certified that the existing foundation was sound and substantial enough for the new construction?

Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Sounds like a quick buck flipper-

Have you contacted the builder?

If you feel you're not getting a "warm and fuzzy" feeling from the builder you need to first consult with a PE/Structural Engineer and have him/her evaluate the construction of the house. If the report brings to light substantial problems, you have the ammunition to confront the builder. And you'll also have the instrument to pursue a legal resolution- if needed.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM

I don’t know if a structural engineer signed off or not - certainly don’t get a “warm and fuzzy” feeling from the builder. He’s pretty gruff. He did some really nice work in places that someone who was trying to be cheap wouldn’t have done and he is very active rebuilding in the immediate area, it doesn’t feel like he was simply trying to scam us but maybe I’m just gullible

Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
The very first thing you need to do is to find out if there are drawings that we’re prepared and stamped by a registered architect! If the builder never gave them to you, or if they were not part of the closing documents, then you need to make a trip to your building department.

This is what any professional would ask for when doing a field inspection of your house to determine if there are structural issues. If designed by an RA, the structural integrity of the house and foundation would be their responsibility as long as it was constructed accord to the plans.

If no “new” drawings exist, ( not the ones from the original house) then there’s no way to know what the builder did design wise and it would all have to be evaluated by a professional.

Also, you never mentioned and any cracking of the foundation walls and if there is no evidence of such, chances are the foundation is not an issue.

Determining if there are approved drawings that were submitted and approved by the building department should be your very first step!

Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
I suspect a foundation issue based on the above description of issues.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Ill have to go get that paperwork.....

Just an fyi these are the "cracks" im talking about. Again I dont see anything in the walls or ceiling.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d3e...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sSP...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/117P...ew?usp=sharing

I assumed this may just be because things are settling and hopefully an easy fix.... but ya I'm pretty new to a lot of this, even if fairly handy.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The very first thing you need to do is to find out if there are drawings that we’re prepared and stamped by a registered architect! If the builder never gave them to you, or if they were not part of the closing documents, then you need to make a trip to your building department.

This is what any professional would ask for when doing a field inspection of your house to determine if there are structural issues. If designed by an RA, the structural integrity of the house and foundation would be their responsibility as long as it was constructed accord to the plans.

If no “new” drawings exist, ( not the ones from the original house) then there’s no way to know what the builder did design wise and it would all have to be evaluated by a professional.

Also, you never mentioned and any cracking of the foundation walls and if there is no evidence of such, chances are the foundation is not an issue.

Determining if there are approved drawings that were submitted and approved by the building department should be your very first step!
There are states where “stamped” drawings are not required for single family residential building. However, a qualified structural engineer should have been included in the design process to verify the integrity of the existing foundation and the design of the new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House