Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, although they are tooled construction joints it is better to fill them with caulk and I would tool the joint ( top of the caulking) shy of the flat surface by several millimeters as you have mention. This will ensure the bond and snow and ice should not be a problem.
Thanks. I wanted to hire someone to do the job but, as is too often the case, finding someone competent and available is difficult. This looks like not too hard a project to just do myself, and on my schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Thanks. I wanted to hire someone to do the job but, as is too often the case, finding someone competent and available is difficult. This looks like not too hard a project to just do myself, and on my schedule.
It just takes patience and a lot of prep, that is the key to a good job. Gunning in the caulk and tooling the surface is the quickest part of the job. Read up on prep and cleaning since it’s most important to use a primer or leaner to ensure the caulking adheres to the side surfaces.

Other than just a dedicated caulking contractor on large jobs that I’ve run, the next best tradesman who are skilled at caulking were glazers. Since many exterior curtain wall systems ( on high rises ) are glass panels that are actually Silicone structural glazing meaning that there are no mechanical fasteners or a frame to secure the glass panels to the framework of the wall system. There all held in place with silicone caulk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House