Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,335 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I had a complete kitchen remodel and new dishwasher, larger, new sink, new garbage disposal, etc. Afterwards when I put food down the disposal and had some water in the sink, turned on the disposal and water leaked all over underneath the sink.

I contacted the builder who did the work, who put the plumber in touch with me. The plumber came out and checked out the disposal and all of the connections, both the plumber and contractor have years of experience, couldn't find anything wrong that they could fix.

Apparently with the new dishwasher it is required to have an outlet valve of some sort, instead of a pipe with no outlet like was the case previously. The water is leaking out of there. The recommendation was to not have a sink full of water when using the disposal, that perhaps the additional pressure of the extra water and powerful disposal was the problem. I also called out my regular plumber to take a look, he couldn't figure it out precisely either. The pipes are clear, no blockages.

For months I didn't have a problem, rarely used the disposal. When I did, I was very careful not to stuff the disposal full, and didn't use too much water, and ran the cold water before and after and I looked under the sink while the disposal was running.

Then a few days ago, I looked under the sink and there was a very small amount of old water underneath the rubber mat.

I want to sell the house next year, and want to get this problem fixed, but no one seems to know what to do. At my wits end. An expensive kitchen remodel and I cannot use the disposal.

Any suggestions? I'd fix it if I knew what to have fixed. And if 2 plumbers and a contractor don't know, then who would?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 AM

213 posts, read 158,215 times
Take and post a few clear, well-lit photos of the connections under the sink and indicate with arrows where the leaks are coming from. Nobody can diagnose something like this from text alone.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztuckerman View Post
Any suggestions?
In short... you need a better class of contractor.
Attached Thumbnails
New Garbage Disposal and Dishwasher, leaking all over underneath-dishwasher-air-gap-required.jpg  

Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Garbage Disposal Leak

Good morning,

I am not exactly sure where the water is coming from, will have to re-create the leak again. Then I will call someone out, but not sure who. Again, if a contractor and 2 plumbers couldn't find a fix, who could I call?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Other than, it's not the disposal itself but the pipes underneath when the disposal is turned on and the sink is full of water.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztuckerman View Post
Good morning,

Again, if a contractor and 2 plumbers couldn't find a fix, who could I call?

A competent plumber.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 AM

OK, I'll do that. It's just tough when you don't know about these things, very frustrating. I'll call a different plumber who does appliance installation and plumbing.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 AM

206 posts, read 171,462 times
I believe the recommendation to not have a sink full of water when using the disposal is actually good. If we could see a photo of this outlet valve, one of us could probably comment more precisely. The air gap, installed per MrRational's attachment in reply #3 works, but in my city it's not required if the dishwasher has a backflow preventer.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:24 AM

7,527 posts, read 13,653,901 times
Do you have the installation instructions for the D/W & Disposer ??

Are they installed per the instuctions ?

In addtion to pictures, specific make & model info helps others help you.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,323,523 times
There shouldn't be ANY leaks under a sink full of water or not.
Maybe they did not tighten the disposal to the bottom of the sink tight enough. They may have not tightened the sink strainer tight enough to the sink basin itself.
Get a competent plumber to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House