Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm not surprised you've never had a problem
Once you removed everything big enough for the sink strainer to catch, those "little traces" can go down the drain without a disposal.
Exactly! As I said, installing a disposal does not magically convert your sink into a garbage can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Exactly! As I said, installing a disposal does not magically convert your sink into a garbage can.
I have to ask you, then, why did you say you 'love' it when, in actuality, it does nothing except take up room under the sink ?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Generally speaking, anything behind the walls in a condo is considered a condo problem and not under the purview of individual owners. In fact, I suspect the HOA does not want individual owners 'snaking' or conducting other plumbing activities on the common plumbing. If you have a plumbing/drainage problem, contact your HOA.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,190,693 times
I would decide on jetting or snaking by the flow that’s occurring in your kitchen sink. It is fairly easily determined if your sink flow is normal or semi restricted depending on the size of the waste line from the sink. If within a period of time the drain flow slows down noticeably, then it’s definitely time to have the line cleaned out to prevent an eventual blockage.

ABS piping is brittle and care needs to be taken when snaking through fittings near the sink that usually transition down into the wall. Perhaps why the recommendation was for jetting?
That’s usually a little more work since outlets need to be plugged to avoid water backups and spraying. Regardless, waste piping often has issues due to grease, soap scum and improper use of disposals.

I am not a fan of disposals, although others love them but each to their own!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Generally speaking, anything behind the walls in a condo is considered a condo problem and not under the purview of individual owners. In fact, I suspect the HOA does not want individual owners 'snaking' or conducting other plumbing activities on the common plumbing. If you have a plumbing/drainage problem, contact your HOA.
It all depends on the construction. I owned a condo where it was directly piped out of the unit into the main.
Usually all services and piping within the condo unit are the responsibility of that owner. With a co-op, it’s usually the managements responsibility but as you mentioned, it never hurts to ask to be sure.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I'd just wait for there to be an issue then rent a power snake from the hardware store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House