Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:55 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Painting is a great option if the cabs are in good shape. And yes it can look fabulous...IF you do it correctly. It’s a lot of work, but I think it’s worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 01:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Painting is a great option if the cabs are in good shape. And yes it can look fabulous...IF you do it correctly. It’s a lot of work, but I think it’s worth it.
I'm painting my cabinets for the same reason - the 90's oak needs to go! The cabinets themselves are in great shape and the style is classic, so painting and changing the hardware can update it easily and (comparatively) inexpensively.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I'm also suspect of re-facing, but can you relate what to be armed with when I get pitched that option as we plan on meeting with some cabinets contractors.

Thanks!
Just say that refacing is not an option.

Why do you think that you need to justify your preferences to a contractor? Would you let a car dealer override your car option preferences?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Just say that refacing is not an option.

Why do you think that you need to justify your preferences to a contractor? Would you let a car dealer override your car option preferences?
I would simply like to know the reasons why re-facing is the option not to choose.

I would suspect that it won't last over time, but the on-line shops say stuff like "20 year guarantee".

Is it simply the costliest of the 3 options that keep the original boxes?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
The other RE-option is replace the doors and drawer fronts. Take a look at a site like Barker Door and see if that makes more sense. I redid my kitchen (19 doors and 17 drawers) for around $3000.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
The other RE-option is replace the doors and drawer fronts. Take a look at a site like Barker Door and see if that makes more sense. I redid my kitchen (19 doors and 17 drawers) for around $3000.
Thanks!

We've considered that option as well because we can go with soft close doors and drawers (the existing drawer guides are crummy anyway).

But that still leaves what to do with the boxes.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:40 PM

478 posts, read 418,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Thanks!

We've considered that option as well because we can go with soft close doors and drawers (the existing drawer guides are crummy anyway).

But that still leaves what to do with the boxes.
You keep the boxes. Sand and re-stain.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Paint and new hardware. Biggest bang for your buck.

Since yours are oak, you shouldn't have any big problems removing them and replacing them (door fronts with hinges). It's too hard to paint around the hinges.

When I've had cheap pressboard cupboards that I've painted in a condo and rentals, I've just painted over the hinges, and touch them up occasionally. I didn't want to chance being able to rehang them, and stripping the screw holes in the pressboard.

Painting over the hardware doesn't look like a perfect professional job, by any means, but they still look a lot nicer than the old 1970's pressboard dark brown fake veneer look they had. Then, add new attractive knobs, and the eye is really fooled into thinking they look great. Most people won't notice the little imperfections.

Anyway, painting them will absolutely transform your kitchen. And, if you remove and replace the hardware and remove the door fronts that are attached to hinges before painting them, it will look really professional.

I just painted the cupboards in my rented apartment recently, and used a print and primer in one from Home Depot, Behr brand. I also repainted furniture using it, and I swear by it. Satin finish is also easy to wipe clean.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I’ve read a lot of good reviews on the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kits. I’m tempted to try it out in one of my rentals soon.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...tions-dark-kit

Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
If they are not that awful design front that oak cabinets had that has been prev mentioned, you can paint them & end up with a good look. But the thing to do is take the doors to an autobody shop & have them sprayed. I did that in a kitchen once & it turned out well.

Otherwise remove doors and get new ones & new drawer fronts exactly how you want either painted or stained...& then you then stain or paint the boxes to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House