Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 PM

25 posts, read 23,859 times

Advertisements

So, I’m kind of desperate here because I don’t know if i’m getting jerked around. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I had some hedges removed and discovered three windows (all wood) with extensive dry rot but only on the bottom of the frame. I had someone dig out the rotted wood and it does basically go all the way to the glass in some places.There is no indication of wood rot on the sides of the frame or on the inside of the house. I’ve only been able to get one person (contractor the painter recommended) to even come out to look. Basically everyone I’ve talked to wants to build a new window rather than repair. I’m wondering why the bottom piece of wood just can’t be removed, treat the area with copper green and replace with a new piece of wood. This seems to be something they do with all-wood windows on historic houses. I’ve been told these are high quality windows and they have a metal grid inside that is no longer available so that complicates things. My googling came across an article that said wood windows can be repaired but the money is in replacing not repairing. Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Pictures!!!

Old 03-01-2019, 05:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Anything's possible given enough time and money. Your best bet will be to find a restoration expert, remove the window, and deliver it to their shop. No one's going to want to rebuild your window on site.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 PM

This is the one with the most damage. Painter and his contractor said wood sill was fine, just needed a good sanding, etc. that the painter can take care of. Do you think the damaged wood can be removed and a new piece inserted without removing the window?
Attached Thumbnails
Wood window dry rot can I repair?-dry-rot.jpeg  

Old 03-01-2019, 06:41 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainia View Post
This is the one with the most damage. Painter and his contractor said wood sill was fine, just needed a good sanding, etc. that the painter can take care of. Do you think the damaged wood can be removed and a new piece inserted without removing the window?
Gonna take some surgery. And the problem is that you have to get rid of all the rot. Can't leave any, or it will continue.
Personally, as a man with patience and time, I would try to cut it out. Think of yourself as a dentist. That helps.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
I have repaired minor dry rot in a sill by removing all affected wood, then I placed some wood screws into solid wood to help wood putty adhere to the cavity, then reshaped the sill using the putty....what I use is Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty, available at big box stores.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Obviously the sill piece appears to be intact and perhaps salvageable ( could be rotted from the bottom) however the bottom rail that retains the glass in the sash, is totally gone.

You would have to remove the sash and determine if the bottom rail could be replaced since it needs to be secured on both sides to the stiles which might also be compromised due to rot.

I would be getting prices for complete window replacement.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
A good Carpenter would remove the side trim and remove the entire sill and replace it.I have seen this alot being 46 years in the trade.It is not that hard for a pro.Problem is we are being replaced with idiots who think all repairs come in a tube or a can.Find a old school Carpenter and you will be in heaven.I got so sick of it I retired but still do side work for neighbors and friends.Your job looks easy a day at the most.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
Looks like an aluminum window to me what is this talk about a rotted sash?

Old 03-01-2019, 09:40 PM

It’s a wood window. The damaged wood is the bottom piece of the frame. Removing the rotted wood revealed the actual dual pane glass in its aluminum frame. The picture was taken at at upward angle from outside so the white you are seeing is the painted inside frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House