Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times

Advertisements

Yes the shoes comes off when we enter the house. We live on a dirt road, where it gets muddy quite often, and snows for months. I don't want mud and snow tracked all over my carpet. I have shoe racks by both entrances to our house so it's easy to slip the shoes off before stepping on to my carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So I take it you never, ever pet your dogs and cats.
I was wondering that too. I have pets. I don't see why that would stop anyone from going barefoot, or even from wearing socks in their house. Unless the animals are peeing everywhere, but I don't think shoes are the answer to that problem...

Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So I take it you never, ever pet your dogs and cats.

I pet them with my hands, and my hands don't get covered in fur and dirt like the bottom of my socks or feet do when walking around without shoes. Sorry, you can't figure that out, but thank you for playing.

People are saying they don't wear shoes indoors because they are liable to track in dirt and microbes. Well, the dogs and cats do that already since we don't wash their little feet every time they come in from outside. So why not wear shoes inside?

And I'm also not going in and out of the garage barefoot, and it's stupid to go out there, put shoes on to be in the garage, grab the tools, then put down the tools I was grabbing out there, take the shoes off again, pick up the tools again, come inside use the tools, go back out put the tools down, put the shoes on, pick up the tools and put them away, then take the shoes off and come in side again. Oh and the meat freezer is out there, too. Let's try that exercise again with meat instead of tools. It's just silly to be taking shoes on and off for fear of tracking in a little dirt.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Yes the shoes comes off when we enter the house. We live on a dirt road, where it gets muddy quite often, and snows for months. I don't want mud and snow tracked all over my carpet. I have shoe racks by both entrances to our house so it's easy to slip the shoes off before stepping on to my carpet.
We live on a dirt road, too, and mud season is in full swing. Sticky, gooey, hard-to-wash-off mud. I also hike all year, pretty close to every day.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:33 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
We have dogs and cats in the house that also go outside and come back in. I don't want to be in bare feet or even socks with that, and changing to in-house shoes or slippers every time you go in and out of the house is a royal PITA, especially if I'm working in the garage and have to come in and out often. I'm not worried about microscopic stuff getting tracked in on my shoes, especially with the dogs and cats bringing that in anyhow. I gotta clean up the house on a regular anyway, so why bother taking shoes off or swapping shoes at the door? Seems like extra steps for no real benefit.
Get your self some shoe covers and keep them by your door, so when you come back inside, or when you have company, you and your company can put shoe covers around your shoes. That way you can keep your carpet and floor clean from outside dirt and mud and you won't embarrass your company should they happen to have sweaty smelly feet and socks with holes in them, because they won't have to take their shoes off. All they have to do is put the covers over their shoes. ABC exterminators require their workers to wear shoe covers when they spray the inside of a customer's house. We use to have wear shoe covers when I worked in a clean room. That's where I got the idea. If I had a white carpet I would require anybody who entered my trailer to put on shoe covers.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:33 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
I wear shoes in my house and I have no problem if other people do. It has never been a problem. If my shoes are dirty, I take them off before I come in, but if they don't seem to be dirty, I just keep them on. I go in and out a lot and it would be a nuisance to constantly have to take my shoes on and off.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I take them off for comfort. Not because I am worried about specks. I kind of hate shoes. I like bare feet or sockie feet. Winter came back for a weekend so I get to enjoy sockie feet. Which is my #1 preference. I have never had a person enter my home and take off their shoes and I am not sure what I would think about that. (Except for s/o's or really good friends who are getting comfortable). I have never taken off my shoes in someone else's home except under same circumstances.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:59 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I take them off for comfort. Not because I am worried about specks. I kind of hate shoes. I like bare feet or sockie feet. Winter came back for a weekend so I get to enjoy sockie feet. Which is my #1 preference. I have never had a person enter my home and take off their shoes and I am not sure what I would think about that. (Except for s/o's or really good friends who are getting comfortable). I have never taken off my shoes in someone else's home except under same circumstances.
I agree- I like my feet as bare as possible but I don't expect that of guests. All of the upstairs entryways have washable floors (tile or wood) so I'm less concerned about any dirt that might get tracked in.

Years ago a friend redecorated and chose white carpet for her front room. What a PITA. Not only were you required to remove your shoes, but you weren't permitted to come in the front door because you might dirty the carpet. She was otherwise a very reasonable, down-to-earth person but she was a little crazy to have installed white carpet in a high-traffic area.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Get your self some shoe covers and keep them by your door, so when you come back inside, or when you have company, you and your company can put shoe covers around your shoes. That way you can keep your carpet and floor clean from outside dirt and mud and you won't embarrass your company should they happen to have sweaty smelly feet and socks with holes in them, because they won't have to take their shoes off. All they have to do is put the covers over their shoes. ABC exterminators require their workers to wear shoe covers when they spray the inside of a customer's house. We use to have wear shoe covers when I worked in a clean room. That's where I got the idea. If I had a white carpet I would require anybody who entered my trailer to put on shoe covers.
I saw disposable shoe covers at court and never did get to find out what they were for. I can't imagine people putting those on over dress shoes to go into the courtroom? Apparently there used to be a shoe cleaning/shining station there, it had that prop thing you put your shoe or boot on. Random aside.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
This is an “old habits die hard” situation in our house, lol. I grew up in a strict shoes-off household, while evidently, in Mr.Ginge’s culture, shoes on in the house is a requirement. Allegedly. It took years to housebreak him to the point of putting on slippers when he came in the door. And a few more years to get him to stop wearing his slippers outside

Guests, I don’t care too much about shoes on; while I’m not okay with sweeping and mopping up after my household every day, i do anticipate cleaning after guests leave.

Anyway, I’ve loosened up a little bit, now that we no longer have carpets. But gawd help the deranged lunatic who walks on my freshly mopped floor with their shoes.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 03-31-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House