Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont wear shoes inside my own house.. but still cant tell someone visiting to remove theirs.. I do go over my large rug daily with a damp mop after hoovering...

ditto, except for the cleaning daily part. I live in a rented place so I want to keep the hardwood floors nice. As there is a gravel parking area, they would get worn down pretty quick if I didn't take outside shoes off. Most people visiting see my shoes by the door and offer to take theirs off, but I don't insist on it.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
We are not a shoes off home... for starters, I am home all day many days, and I shouldn't walk around all day in bare feet any more - plantar fasciitis issues. I wear good supportive shoes, not just socks or slippers, and I think it's a pain to take them off and put them on many times a day as we come in and out. Our dogs too, are in and out. We're a farm... I think a bit of dirt in our home is just part of the bargain we'd be wasting energy to worry about. We have easily cleanable floors for that reason, and a small (12x12) bound remnant carpet in the living room that we replace often when it becomes worn or dirty. The exception of course, is muddy boots. If there's visible mud, those boots come off and wait at the door.

I of course have to deal with a lot of homes in our business that are 'shoes off' only, and I either slip them off or use booties... no biggie, but I do object when homes say shoes off and don't provide a bench to sit on while removing shoes. Not everyone can safely bend or hop around while putting shoes on, and if clients can't oblige safely, I let them leave their shoes on. Same goes for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
No, I wear shoes all the time in my house. I don't have any carpet however and all the rugs can get thrown in the wash. Germs are everywhere and my floors are washed every week.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:59 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
When I come in my house, the first thing to come off is my coat or jacket (depending on season, of course), the second thing to come off are my shoes, to be replaced with slippers (all year round). The third thing to come off is my bra. It's all about comfort for me. I love wearing slippers. I would wear them in the office, if I could.

I don't require visitors to take their shoes off, however. I don't tend to have a lot of visitors anyway.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
We don't have carpet in the main living areas, so I don't care if someone wears shoes. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
My son takes his shoes off as soon as he walks in, his own personal preference. I do not, my own personal preference although depending on the shoes I'm wearing, I often switch them out when I get home to something else for additional comfort and to save the additional wear on more expensive shoes.

I hate being asked to remove my shoes in other peoples houses. I select my shoes to go with my outfit, I am more comfortable with the support they provide for my feet, I have no interest in walking around in bare feet or socks in some else's home and the idea of being asked to re-wear socks or slippers provided by someone else (which I have seen be used by someone and then put back into the basket) is disgusting

Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM

334 posts, read 227,281 times
No

Old 03-04-2019, 11:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Personally I don't like a pile of shoes at the front door. Or any door. That being said, I don't generally wear shoes in the house - but it's a comfort thing with me. I come home, take my shoes off, put them in my closet, and put on big thick woolly socks or something like that (go barefoot in the summer).

I would never tell a guest to either take their shoes off or keep them on. I've had people do both when they come over.

I vacuum and mop and also go over my rugs with a damp mop often so I'm just not worried about whatever someone is tracking in. My gosh, I have two big dogs - there's no telling what they bring in on their paws. One of them brought a DEAD RAT (or something or other - I didn't look too closely at it) into the house the other day! They walk around in the yard all day long and then come in the house. Hence the floor mopping and vacuuming on a very regular basis. We have a lot of hardwood and travertine and tile anyway, so they're easy to keep clean.

That being said, I also don't wallow around on the floor - because, you know, dogs. Blech.

I am not overly afraid of or concerned with germs. I'm not someone who boils a baby's pacifier if they drop it on the floor. They're lucky if I stick it in my mouth first before popping it back in theirs! Five second rule around here! I've always been like that and I'm super healthy and so are all my kids and they always were. Heck, they'd play outside all day and I'd make them strip down to their undies and I'd hose them off before they came in! I'm sure they tracked in plenty of stuff over the years. So be it.

But like I said, I've had friends who apparently want to take their shoes off when they come in, and leave them by the door, and I just let them. It won't hurt anything.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Filth from the outside environment. Dirt. Mud. Cat Pee. Dog Poop. Spit. Oil. Grass. Stones which get stuck in the treads and scratch the floor are one of the worst culprits.

Outside shoes are left at the door in my house. Not a Nazi when it comes to guests, but most take the hint.
My outside shoes are not covered by filth. Very little mud & dirt. I don't walk in pools of oil or spit. I don't walk in poop.

In any case, floors are cleaned regularly.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Dog feet are in the realm of whatever you want in your own home.

The thread TOPIC is about people and shoes, not dogs.
Thanks for policing posts for conformance to topic, but my point was that the dog feet bring in the same germs/dirt as shoes and, therefore, it is relevant if the objective in removing shoes is preventing said germs/dirt, but you also have dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House