Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

Own two homes and neither have carpeting. Carpeting is a sponge for germs, dirt, etc. Maybe if we had carpeting, I would wear shoes indoors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I don’t put such things on floors elsewhere. Not going to worry about whether my fanny pack or whatever was on a table somewhere.

“Germophobe” does not apply simply because people don’t let outdoor shoes walk inside. You don’t want to do shoes-off in your home, fine. That is what the thread TOPIC asked. Nobody is being asked to change what they do in their own home, and I guarantee you you won’t convince me to go back to wearing outdoor shoes inside. How would you like me to refer to that as “regressing,” just because it is not what I do?
Did I say "regressing?" Where did I say "regressing?" Not sure why that is in quotes. You do you and I have not expressed that you should do otherwise. Some people have said that they remove shoes to prevent bringing in cooties from outside, making cootie-carriers relevant to the "TOPIC."

Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
One of the reasons I stopped going to my in-laws was because of their rule of 'no shoes.' I would never make guests in my house purposely uncomfortable.

Unless it's for specific cultural customs or somebody is going to drag something plainly visible through your house, I think it's rude to make people take their shoes off. Seems very controlling to me.

I agree, I have visited homes, where they provided me with slippers, but I would really rather not deal with it. I am a stroke survivor, so I cannot change shoes without sitting down, & not all halls have seats for shoe changing.

Freaking out over a microscopic bit of dirt of a shoe sole is not my thing.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Yes, shoes off.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Ours is, as was our previous home. We had tried it once before and failed to keep it up; next time ‘round we stuck with it. Now we wouldn’t have it any other way. People in this region probably think it is strange, but the practice was fairly common where we lived for a few years.

I *LOVE* being able to sit or lie anywhere on the floor knowing that shoes worn outdoors have not trod on it (other than during construction activities, after which the floor gets thoroughly cleaned).
I used to think my grandparents were crazy for it (they also had WHITE carpet installed - it's still white, btw) until I had hardwoods.

EVERY SINGLE SPECK of dirt under chairs, tables, laundry baskets etc. makes this horrible grinding sound reminding you to sweep.

We've had no choice but to be "those people" and be a shoes-off house.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
We never wear shoes inside our houses for generations. I own 2 houses. My 1st house which I lived there for 10 years and the wooden floor is still very good condition. My recent home, which was built in 2007 the floors had worst damage than our old house that was built in the 70s. I attribute this to the previous owner wearing shoes inside the home and causing damage every floor and every room.

This is why I would want to wear outdoor shoes inside the home, you are damaging wood and even tiles. I had never seen damage on porcelain tiles before until my recent home there were scratches and abrasive damage on the floor tiles.

It's not good on the floor and expensive to maintain when you wear outdoor shoes inside the house.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:59 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Just a side question for the No Shoes Nation -

When you're getting ready to go out, for work or errands, do you carry your selected shoes from your closet to the door? Do you have a pile or rack by the door?

Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My shoes have done far less damage to my floors than either the kids or the dogs. It's all acceptable wear and tear to me. Shoes on here, and I'm not very comfortable being expected to remove mine elsewhere, although I'll oblige. To each his own.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My outside shoes are not covered by filth. Very little mud & dirt. I don't walk in pools of oil or spit. I don't walk in poop.

In any case, floors are cleaned regularly.
LOL, I'll second you on that. It's not that dirty outside and if you're going to be a germaphobe, there are germs everywhere on everything, inside and out. People get out of their cars, walk a few steps on the sidewalk, and they are at the outside welcome mat where they scrape their shoes. Inside the door, another mat made of rough textured sisal and scrape again. Most people have good enough manners to do the scraping thing twice.

Of course, if anyone's been out shoveling snow and their boots are soaking wet, they take their boots off and walk around in their socks. But summer and winter, it's clean enough around here. People are required by law to pick up after their dogs, there's no mud in winter and usually not in summer, etc.

I would be disgusted though if I went to someone's house and saw a pile or container of used socks or slippers that I'm supposed to wear after taking my shoes off. Now that would mean germs and whatever else you would get from people's feet. And I will not walk around barefoot except in my own home.

My kitchen and bathroom are very clean and that's for practical purposes of sanitation. But the rest of the house is for comfort. I have a dog and he doesn't wear shoes at all.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We never wear shoes inside our houses for generations. I own 2 houses. My 1st house which I lived there for 10 years and the wooden floor is still very good condition. My recent home, which was built in 2007 the floors had worst damage than our old house that was built in the 70s. I attribute this to the previous owner wearing shoes inside the home and causing damage every floor and every room.

This is why I would want to wear outdoor shoes inside the home, you are damaging wood and even tiles. I had never seen damage on porcelain tiles before until my recent home there were scratches and abrasive damage on the floor tiles.

It's not good on the floor and expensive to maintain when you wear outdoor shoes inside the house.
Yeah but I'm not letting my décor material choices dictate my lifestyle. If my floors get scratched I refinish them. I'm not OCD about that anyway, houses are to live in. I put on shoes they stay on until I'm ready to take them off, usually at night when I put my feet up. If I am a guest and dressed up with my nice outfit and shoes I am not interested in removing them. As a host it is rude to expect guests to undress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House