Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

HVAC came, he replaced the capacitor so I have heat now but no telling for how long - he's going to email a quote by the end of the day for a motor as well as replacing the furnace (it was installed 2001, it's a Trane). He figured out the water dripping, my garbage disposal upstairs - so.. in addition to furnace repair/replacement I also need a new clothes dryer as well as garbage disposal. He turned off the water to the kitchen sink so I can't wash dishes, use water in the kitchen, I can't dry clothes and I am really due to do a couple loads

Any recommendations for furnace brands? (he deals with one - I forget the company, it's well-known, he doesn't care for Carrier because of the $$$) - also recs. for disposal? I tried to look in my consumer reports but they don't cover either. Thanks again everyone for the help and concern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
If you have water leaking over the dryer but no plumbing there, that would really concern me. I think you had better follow that water and see where it is coming from ASAP.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
HVAC came, he replaced the capacitor so I have heat now but no telling for how long - he's going to email a quote by the end of the day for a motor as well as replacing the furnace (it was installed 2001, it's a Trane). He figured out the water dripping, my garbage disposal upstairs - so.. in addition to furnace repair/replacement I also need a new clothes dryer as well as garbage disposal. He turned off the water to the kitchen sink so I can't wash dishes, use water in the kitchen, I can't dry clothes and I am really due to do a couple loads

Any recommendations for furnace brands? (he deals with one - I forget the company, it's well-known, he doesn't care for Carrier because of the $$$) - also recs. for disposal? I tried to look in my consumer reports but they don't cover either. Thanks again everyone for the help and concern

Find an installer on the furnace you like, and don't worry so much about brand. Is there a problem with the motor on the current one? Or is the HVAC contractor just scaring you due to age? If nothing is wrong, let it go and keep what you have.

For disposal, popular opinion seems to lean that Waste King is probably a better unit than the popular Insinkerator. I replaced my last Insinkerator with another because the plumbing lined up easy with no changes, but next time will probably go through the (not super difficult) process of redoing the height to get the line to match up with the Waste King. More HP is usually better...

Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the opinions (as stated, the water was coming from the upstairs sink/disposal - I had the water dripping all night since I didn't have heat).

The HVAC guy is highly recommended by someone I trust and he doesn't appear to be trying to upsell me. My neighbor who looked at it last night said the same thing about the motor, it was running and running but not able to blow the air - he isn't pushing for a new furnace either, said he doesn't tell people one way or another how long it might last as there is no way to tell - he said it could fail as he's driving away or it could last for yrs. so it's my decision - depending on the cost, I might go with the repair and keep my fingers crossed that it will hold up for awhile.

I'll already have to get a plumber and a new dryer

Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Why a new dryer?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why a new dryer?
I'm afraid to use it! water was dripping right over it, running over the sides, front, top, etc. and there was water inside.

Want to come visit me and run it? LOL

Old 03-07-2019, 03:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I'm afraid to use it! water was dripping right over it, running over the sides, front, top, etc. and there was water inside.

Want to come visit me and run it? LOL

I would not get too worried about that, take apart what you can easily. Open the door, open the panel on the top if you can and open the back. The back usually comes off pretty easy and once you have that off you'll have really good view of where any water may be pooling if there was any at all. As long as it's dried out before turning it on it should work fine. If you are worried about it call a technician.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Thanks - I am worried about it, I have limited hand movement and try my best to keep up with repairs but I have no idea how to open it up - repairs these days cost as much as replacing!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Electric blankets

Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Thanks - I am worried about it, I have limited hand movement and try my best to keep up with repairs but I have no idea how to open it up - repairs these days cost as much as replacing!
For the back of it there are probably a couple screws at the corners with the rear plate held on by them and maybe a tab. The top likely has a couple squeeze tabs towards the front corners, maybe 4 inches in from them. Stick a largish flat head screw driver in the crack between the top and front and go exploring. When you find the tabs press on them from the front with the screw driver while pulling the top up a bit. Do that to the other end and gently lift the top about a foot, the back should be on pivots.

Unplug the dryer before doing any of this, I'm assuming it's electric. Unplug a gas one, too.

I'm more concerned with your heat loss and frozen pipes. For your kitchen pipes to freeze for all the colder it was last night means those pipes must be flat up against the exterior wall. Your heat loss over ten or so hours is also high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House