Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,613,109 times

Advertisements

Yi Cam

Same as nest cam, instant alerts, etc. No monthly fee. Simply buy the camera and sd card and your done.

Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,530,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Oh, I read the WHOLE post. And by the "full description" that the OP stated- there's no need for a "camera" @desk; but a "monitor"- perhaps it was a "slip-of-the-typing-fingers"(?)

Besides, it makes much more sense to know someone is coming to the door- not "in" the apartment. And that can certainly be done on a phone.
Gotta keep that post count up by answering a different question than the one the OP asked. Not helpful.

And dude, lay off the "quotes" for a while. It reminds me of Zoolander...The files are "IN" the computer.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,532,491 times
That's a crappy camera. I use the Samsung SmartCam. I can pull any one of them up on my iPhone via the Samsung app. No subscription required. It can take up to a 128 gig sd card. The only problem with an sd card is that if burglary is your primary concern, burglars can just take the camera or remove the sd card. So a subscription-based setup would be a better alternative, as they record to the cloud, so your video is recoverable.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,502,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's a crappy camera. I use the Samsung SmartCam. I can pull any one of them up on my iPhone via the Samsung app. No subscription required. It can take up to a 128 gig sd card. The only problem with an sd card is that if burglary is your primary concern, burglars can just take the camera or remove the sd card. So a subscription-based setup would be a better alternative, as they record to the cloud, so your video is recoverable.

The wyze cam does store 14 days of video for free on the cloud. So does the Arlo Pro (7 days free).

Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 AM

5,806 posts, read 6,863,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Anyway, check out the WYze cameras. They have been reviewed all over the place, including magazine articles and on tech radio shows. I also know someone who has one. I would get this one: https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-In...gateway&sr=8-4
I have the regular Wyze cam ($25), mounted in the covered area of my front porch. It is not rated for outdoor use, but it is protected from the rain. It has been there ~8 months or so and works great.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,502,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have the regular Wyze cam ($25), mounted in the covered area of my front porch. It is not rated for outdoor use, but it is protected from the rain. It has been there ~8 months or so and works great.
I think they make an outdoor box for it to protect it from the elements. You put the camera inside

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM

37,477 posts, read 45,726,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Which requires a subscription to watch anything other than "right now".

I second the Yi cam. I have two of them and they are awesome.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 PM

199 posts, read 157,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
The Wyze camera is very good for the price. We got one to monitor elderly inlaws who live across town. Setup is a piece of cake.

The people who suggested the Ring doorbell obviously didn't read your question about wanting a camera on the desk.
Right - I didn't see that. I recommended the Ring because nobody's going to get into your house without you knowing it. I don't see any reason to record nothing for weeks on end inside your apartment if your goal is to make sure nobody gets in without your knowledge. But, yes, if you want to point fingers, I missed that detail.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:24 PM

454 posts, read 443,915 times
Okay so is the wyze camera or the one i posted good then for my purpose? I basically want it on a desk so to speak while it having it pointed to my glass window. Thus when im not in apartment, i want to see if anything is going on there etc. So that would be enough? I also need to buy those micro sd card as well? If so, which one and how big?

So i could be away from my apartment for how long before the camera can no longer record any footage? I read some require you to do something to it once a week or so?

So do these things have motion detectors? The one i posted and the wyze you guys talk about?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,726,590 times
The Yi cam records a six second alert video, and sends you a notification, when it detects motion. It loops the video on the card...so you don’t have to worry about how long you can be gone. Obviously the larger the memory on the card that you get, the more video that you will be able to go back and view. You can set the motion detection area, also.

Check the specs of each camera to find out what size SD card you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House