Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a sewer line issue and I would call a plumber who has the capability to snake/jet the line and then run a camera through it from that lower toilet level.

That cost is worthwhile and you will know for sure what problem exists and how to correct it without any guesswork or additional testing!

Last edited by Rickcin; 03-13-2019 at 04:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Are different people using the two washrooms? If so, maybe the person who uses the downstairs washroom uses a tad too much paper, is disposing of feminine hygiene products, paper towel, etc., and needs an edumacation.

If not, can you see the how the waste lines from both washrooms tie into the main? (is the house on a basement or slab?). My guess is that the 1st floor washroom has some kind of "hook" to the drain that catches waste, allowing it to build up. When you snake it, is the obstruction before, or after, the connection to the main? When the 1st floor commode is plugged, does the 2nd floor still flush OK? (or does waste push back up into the 1st floor commode) - these are the questions you need to be asking yourself to diagnose the problem.

There's always the possibility of a small toy or something lodged in the trap of the 1st floor commode. We had a Housekeeping employee drop a smart phone into a wall-mounted commode once, and then flushed it (wonderful). The phone lodged in the molded-in trap in the commode, where you couldn't see it, but it still caused a frequent obstruction if it turned in there (it acted like a ball valve). We took the commode off the wall but were unable to dislodge the phone, it all went into the dumpster and we installed a new commode.

One trick to try is that the next time it plugs, instead of snaking it, pour a quarter cup of dishwashing soap into the bowl and let it sit for an hour. Then pour (with a bucket, don't flush!) in a couple gallons of very hot water. The soap should dissolve the fats in the waste, plus add lubrication - I've seen this work on some pretty-clogged up commodes. The camera thingy is a good idea, I don't know if you can rent one or would have to hire a plumber.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
I have a small 1700 lake taho 2 story.

The issue, I have to plunge lower toilet but never upstairs......why??
I'd have the line snaked and replace the toilet. 3.5 gallons on a flush should flush cement. 1.6 GPF? Better be well designed.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Just spend the money to have have it videoed or you could be experimenting and testing without ever realizing the full extent of the issue. It’s really not that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House