Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 3,978 times

Advertisements

I've spent a lot of time this morning searching Thewirecutter and GetCleaningDone. But, every time I check out the customer reviews there are always complaints that the rollers still get bound up with hair and have to be continually cut off. Or that the vacuums are falling apart! I found one that seemed to work well . . . as long as you got down on your hands and knees and used an attachment to get it up. I've been doing that for years with my Miele White Star and am so done with that! For a vacuum that expensive (back then it was close to $500), shame on them!

Is there a vacuum out there that actually really works with pet hair on rugs and hardwood-carpeted floors?????? I need recommendations ~ and ones NOT to buy~ quickly, please. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
I only have hardwood ceramic tiles and laminate and I just bought a Shark for pets with attachments from Amazon. I have not had to empty the canister yet which means it holds a lot lol! I have had an Oreck before also. I like the power of the shark but YMMV

Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
We have a Bissel Pet Hair Eraser model we picked up at Costco a few years ago. Handles our 2 dogs' hair great. Significantly better than any other vacuum we've owned over the decades. Also the easiest to clean out the vacuum/filters itself.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I like a broom dust pan and dust mop for hardwood floors. Silent, fast, cheap.

For carpets I've been impressed so far with my new Riccar vacuum.

A single vacuum cleaner that you try to use for hard surfaces and carpets will inherently be suboptimal for at least one of those, if not both.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
I have a Dyson vacuum for pets. I have all kinds of flooring throughout my house, and this one adjusts easily.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Miele Marin
https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/va...erLine_-_SGJE0
Ours works great.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I have a dyson cordless v8 absolute that has two separate attachments for carpet and hardwood. Works wonderfully. Got it on black friday for a steep discount.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
There is no one vacuum to do both well. A carpet needs a brush roll to separate the fibers to reach the dirt. A brush roll on bare floors usually flings stuff around, especially if you’re picking up cat sand... So, I ended up using two vacuums. After we pulled up the carpet I bought a Sebo Felix. Picks up beautifully, however, it hates kibble. In order to pick up kibble, I have to pick up the vacuum and wave it over the kibble. It’s like kibble doen’t fit under the head of the vacuum.

And with having cats, and living in a dusty area, I should vacuum daily. I hate it, and end up vacuuming once or twice a week. Then I bought a Electrolux Ergorapido. It’s a small chargeable stick vac. Actually, it’s a Dustbuster in a upright case, and you can take it out to use as a Dustbuster. I use that for a daily zip around and the little bits of carpet we have it works wonders on. Yes it has a brush roll, but the suction isn’t so great it flings things. It also picks up kibble. The one I bought has a brush roll cleaner pedal. Step on it, for 5 seconds and the roll is cleared. Good for two people who have long hair.

Nothing is maintenance free. You have to wash the dust cup and filters once a week. The Felix gets clogged every once in a while, it needs to be cleaned out. The Meile vacuum we used to have really hated wood floors. And I personally despise with the passion of 1000 red hot suns canister vacs. Doing janitorial for 20 years I have developed a long stroke in vacuuming, and a canister never has along enough vacuum hose so the canister is continually right behind me. I have fallen over it several times. I am so over that...

Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
I got a Shark vacuum from Home Depot that has a button to toggle carper or noncarpet. I also have a Roomba that does it automatically. I love my Roomba 675, still have to use the old school vacuum for stairs. When my Shark dies, I will get a cordless vacuum lol. Unplugging is annoying.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I got a Shark vacuum from Home Depot that has a button to toggle carper or noncarpet. I also have a Roomba that does it automatically. I love my Roomba 675, still have to use the old school vacuum for stairs. When my Shark dies, I will get a cordless vacuum lol. Unplugging is annoying.
I have the purple Shark Liftaway last 7 yrs... great on both carpet and hardwood. It's already lighter than the other full size Sharks but I find it annoying lugging it up & down the stairs. I just got a cordless Shark ION Multiflex ($400!!) and love it. It's so easy to move around and gets into all the tight places easily - it's a great vac for everyday use esp on the hardwood areas that are freq used. I'd still use the Liftaway for thoroughly cleaning all the carpets though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House