Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 PM

79 posts, read 85,675 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I built a new construction home with a fully finished basement. The house was completed this past summer, and there was a sump pump installed with the home. I had the pump on and it was continuously cycling. However, as it cycled, I noticed that water entering the sump basin would continue to stay at the same spot (e.g. groundwater was coming into the basin, so as water got pushed out, more groundwater came in, and the sump pump would run again.)...

Having been disturbed by the frequency in which the sump pump was running, I unplugged it. I then checked the sump basin every week, and I noticed that the water threshold would never move. During very heavy periods of rain, I saw that the basin would fill up about an extra 1 inch above the threshold that it originally sat at.

It's been over a year now and I am still living with the unplugged sump pump. I had a radon system installed and the sump basket was sealed off, so I haven't been able to monitor the ground water level. I do have an open (2 x 2) spot in my basement mechanical room, near the sump, where I can see my infloor slab heating tubing and I can see the ground rock that was placed under the foundation. Even during periods of heavy rain, I've never seen the water come anywhere near the threshold of the open spot in the basement floor.

My question is... do I need a sump pump? What usually determines if someone needs one? Trying to understand if I should just plug it back in and let it run every minute or so indefinitely when there doesn't appear to be any issue with the home.

Again, I've experienced zero water issues. No mold, no smells, etc. The basement is fully finished (9 ft tall ceilings), is bright, and feels like any other area of the house. Even the humidity levels in the basement are equal to that of the home, so there's no functional difference as far as one could tell.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
First off, always keep it plugged in. Even if it appears you may not need it, all it takes is a massive rainfall event to possibly overflow your sump pit.

Next, how is the water discharged? It should be discharged far away from your house. Sometimes it's through a PVC pipe under your lawn that goes out to the street. Some homes just have a splash block right under the discharge pipe. All it does it dump the water back into the perimeter of your foundation, which eventually ends right back up into the pit. Just a never-ending cycle of recirculating the water, but never really getting rid of it.

Usually the water comes up through the bottom of the pit. There is usually, but not always, a few holes drilled at the bottom of the liner to let groundwater rise up into it. Or the water may only come out through the drain tile that is higher up in the pit. If water is coming out of the drain tile, that means the ground water is very high and right underneath your slab.

Not sure what kind of sump pump you have, perhaps it is set too low in your pit? Sounds like the water never gets too high, as you mentioned when you unplugged it. If your pump has been unplugged for a year, and you have had heavy rains (I'm sure you have) but no issues, then you probably have nothing to worry about. You are lucky and have a low water table ...that is good. But personally, I would still want to keep it plugged in for that biblical rainstorm that could happen.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:09 PM

79 posts, read 85,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
First off, always keep it plugged in. Even if it appears you may not need it, all it takes is a massive rainfall event to possibly overflow your sump pit. ... But personally, I would still want to keep it plugged in for that biblical rainstorm that could happen.

Thanks so much for the reply. OK, I will keep it plugged in. Was trying to determine the usefulness of it in this situation, but I can appreciate the peace of mind and the potential headaches that come with an insurance claim.

I took a look at the pipe going out.. I do believe that the drains needs to be pulled farther away from the home. I'll make that fix very soon as well (we're in the middle of a rainstorm here, coupled with melting snow right now in Minneapolis).

Appreciate your response.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
As already discussed check the discharge, you need to have it discharging far enough away from the house so it's not simply recirculating back to the pump. Worse case is to take some light flexible hose the size of the pipe and roll it up near the discharge. Test to make sure the pump has enough pressure to unroll it, you'll want to remove this in the winter.

Once you have done that during some dry weather see if it can pump out sufficient water to keep it turned off. If it's still continually pumping water you can try adjusting or raising the pump so it won't be pumping "normal" levels of water.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If a sump was installed I feel quite certain that someone thought it was necessary- does that answer your question?
That someone is probably the AHJ, due in part because of the average water table, annual rainfall, and soil conditions for the region.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If a sump was installed I feel quite certain that someone thought it was necessary- does that answer your question?
That someone is probably the AHJ, due in part because of the average water table, annual rainfall, and soil conditions for the region.
I could be wrong, but I thought all new construction homes these days with basements came with sumps as standard. Regardless of the water table or rainfall totals.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Does the line have a backflow valve?

Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought all new construction homes these days with basements came with sumps as standard. Regardless of the water table or rainfall totals.
After several 100 homes built here in GA- not a one had a sump for ground water issues.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
My townhouse's basement has a sump pump. Built 2005
It's right in the middle of the floorplan. Lived here 7 yrs and never heard it turn on...even when there were hurricanes and torrential storms.

Wondering if it's needed in the first place and if it's in the right spot. Does it matter where it sits - edge of property or middle like mine.

I also never tested mine by pouring water into the pit. There's a PVC pipe that runs from ot to outside but not sure where it discharges.

Should I leave well enough alone?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Should I leave well enough alone?

Let's just say- the mere mention hopefully will no open Pandora's box!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House