Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times

Advertisements

I would
1) Move the toilet to the footprint of the current shower with a commercial quality exhaust fan. Having toilet in the middle wide open master bath is poor design. It is disjointed as currently configured

2) The dual sink massive vanity would be better as high quality single sink slightly smaller (say 48 inch) you will have plenty of storage to free up the actual usable vanity counter top for usual bathroom things and lose that odd upper storage piece with limited vanity counter.

3) Put a quality soaking depth tub shower combo along the remaining wall in footprint of soak tub. I would eliminate the existing window and you have the ability for a nice 6 foot soak tub shower combo along that wall. On the tub shower combo I would put the plumbing controls on the far wall from entry to bathroom which then could enable you to do a signature design element like a 3/4 wall height on the opposite end letting ones eyes be drawn up upon entering the bathroom and to the right (away from the toilet closet).

4) Place a new window between the six feet of tub shower combo and vanity.

5) If you desire a separate makeup vanity space I would put it on the angled wall, as they don't need to be deep and it would allow for two people using the bathroom easier based on traffic layout. E.G. Husband can be shaving at vanity and wife can be primping at makeup vanity across from tub shower combo. You could also put a small medicine cabinet above it,

6) Or if you desire more linen storage put that along the angled wall across from shower tub combo or in a cabinet under the window between the shower tub combo and vanity.

7) last option if you still desire separate bathtub and shower stall. Put a standard 5 foot tub along wall in current tub location (Kohler 5 foot soaking depth - 20 inch height I recently purchased is great) then a 36" or 42" wide shower adjacent to it. (Basically you'd be switching the existing toilet and shower locations but using a larger footprint for the shower if you shrink that cumbersome vanity with dual sinks to a high quality 48 inch vanity. You have plenty of room to work with though the plumbing reworking will be costly.

From someone who recently renovated both my bathrooms and optimized them. Quality materials make big difference. My contractor was very pleased working with commercial grade 12" x 24" faux marble polished porcelain tiles I chose from Lowes (Master bath). Not so much the other tile I chose (brittle and not as much consistency in tolerance of production).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 02:28 AM

577 posts, read 493,824 times
Wow, my wife and I would LOVE to have that nice bathroom the way it is. Our main bath is 5' x 9' in size.

Since the OP does not want to look at the toilet when bubble bathing, maybe just do the minimum reno and do something like in my sketch attached. If space allows between the toilet and tub of course.

Then, have some money left over from the $20-25K to do other fun things with, instead of the cost of a full reno which is a MESS, when still living in the home.

Been there done that for 28 years now, of our passed home reno's where my wife and I did them by ourselves. Just my two cents though, with inflation taken out

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 03-22-2019 at 05:58 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 02:54 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
So much space to work with, that’s great. Are you willing to move the plumbing (toilet) or not? If you are, I would arrange the floor plan for a large, tiled walk-in shower, a separate room for the toilet, a linen closet, and perhaps a free standing soaking tub, if you would use it. I’d definitely take a sledge hammer to the jetted tub, they are useless. Find a showroom that offers design services.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:31 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Hire an architect.
One that is knowledgeable about universal design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House