Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What about a class before a purchase is finalized if it's a first time buyer? I know some online brokerages like Redfin offer classes on the buying process. Might be better to do it closer to the point of buying so the information is fresh.
Getting back to this question: I think it's a great idea but -- as with all great ideas -- it depends on the the ethics of those doing the teaching and what constitutes basics -- but it's a great idea.

It's also a great idea for first time renters who have never had any sort of responsibility in home repairs

Home or apartment maintenance is not an episode of the old "I Dream Of Jeannie" where you fold your arms, blink your eyes and problem solved

I'm also the person who thinks classes in parenting and owning any type of animal, ahead of child birth or animal ownership, is a good idea in those instances where the person(s) don't have mentors or the good common sense the Lord gave a goose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 01:13 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
My parents gradually taught us. I can change light fixtures, electrical outlets, toilet flushing valve, toilet flapper valve, toilet water hose, faucets, light fixtures, shower heads, and exterior lighting. However I know my limits. A certain amount of plumbing and electrical work I will call a professional before attempting to do the work myself. Same with the central heating/cooling system and water heater.

What’s shocking to me is how much basic home cleaning chores some people either don’t bother to do or don’t even know such things need to be done or how to do them. Our parents gradually taught us chores based upon our mental capacity and maturity. Things like picking up and putting away our toys came first. Making the bed and folding clothes came next. Dusting furniture, vacuuming, mopping floors, dishes, laundry, yard work, and dishes followed. I’ve heard some people say they think making children do these chores is making children slaves. No, it’s educating them to becoming responsible adults. It’s the parents job to teach their children these things. Sadly it’s becoming the job of schools to teach these things in high school or college when they should have already learned these things by then.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
I grew up in apartments in Sweden. My mom was a single parent and never owned a home of her own. Thus when I bought my first property it was a huge wake up call. I was so ignorant of home maintenance that I made a lot of mistakes and had no idea what I should be doing.

My mate and I are now real estate investor and landlords. We find that a lot of our tenants not so far removed from us in age (3Os let's say) are either completely clueless about what constitutes an emergency and call us constantly or will let something like a leaky toilet go for months before they realize it needs an intensive intervention. I'm not blaming anyone as a lot of people grow up with the idea of perhaps never owning a home or it taking until they are in their late 40s or 50s to save enough. Is teaching kids about home maintenance still on the radar for people?
nope. i do think that schools should include classes on repairing things at home.

my wife complained to me the other day about all the obligations she has to deal with things not working. im not entirely sure what she thinks should be the resolution. we can always move back to the condo community if she isnt happy. much less stuff to fix there. big house comes with more things to go wrong. growing up, i know my mom complained plenty about that also.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Firstly as a renter it's not my responsibility to be doing maint. THAT is why my rent is so high to begin with (supposedly) . Do I clean up spills and check my fire detector..yup! Beyond that ...it's up to the property management to fix the oven gas leak or the light fixture wiring. I'm not their money bags.

I learned home repair and maint on the fly..am ever so grateful to habitat for teaching some basic tool skills. I refuse to mess with electric or the hvac. Clean gutters..sure...fix garage door..yes. re install doors..sure.
I worked with a 'princess' who thought it so beneath her to fix a closet door. Her dress or nails might get damaged. I was going to offer to teach her how ...and she rebuffed it by saying. .ppl like you have to fix things you can't afford qualified professionals....I said Hmmm. .. might want to hire a professional then to fix your attitude.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
I grew up in apartments in Sweden. My mom was a single parent and never owned a home of her own. Thus when I bought my first property it was a huge wake up call. I was so ignorant of home maintenance that I made a lot of mistakes and had no idea what I should be doing.

My mate and I are now real estate investor and landlords. We find that a lot of our tenants not so far removed from us in age (3Os let's say) are either completely clueless about what constitutes an emergency and call us constantly or will let something like a leaky toilet go for months before they realize it needs an intensive intervention. I'm not blaming anyone as a lot of people grow up with the idea of perhaps never owning a home or it taking until they are in their late 40s or 50s to save enough. Is teaching kids about home maintenance still on the radar for people?
So you are criticizing non-homeowners for not knowing the things that you didn't learn until you became a homeowner?

I did learn some basic stuff from my dad growing up but didn't buy a home (condo) of my own until a decade and a half after I was out of high school (life in an expensive city) and chances are I would have forgotten anything I had been taught in a high school class but never had ocassion to use in the intervening years.

And most landlords I've had explicitly did not want tenants to try to fix stuff, because of the risk that they wouldn't know what they were doing and fixing their mistakes would be even more expensive than fixing the original problem.

Emergencies, sure, that should be something that most people recognize but there's a big difference between a toilet that keeps running (which should be fixed but is easy to ignore) and an actual leak. Presumably tenants with toilets leaking water onto their floors on an ongoing basis know enough to call the landlord.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Yes.

We had to help Dad. We also helped him build sets for the local theater troupe.

When we went camping, the would help the camp manager build picnic tables or repair the cabana and we would help. to Dad that was vacation - find some work to do.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
I have the best neighbor's next door that rents a house for 900.00 a month and has put their own money which is over 1000.00 to fix it up. Landlord will not give them any money off their rent. They fixed the basement for leaks and graved the driveway and installed a dishwasher, etc.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There's a lot of classes that should be offered to high school students now.... some that were there when we were in school, like Home Economics, Shop, and Auto shop. Basic home management and maintenance could certainly be in there maybe they should be required. Life skills.
^^^ I keep saying this too. I have no clue why they would take something away, such as these classes, that are so valuable

Last edited by beckycat; 03-21-2019 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So you are criticizing non-homeowners for not knowing the things that you didn't learn until you became a homeowner?

I did learn some basic stuff from my dad growing up but didn't buy a home (condo) of my own until a decade and a half after I was out of high school (life in an expensive city) and chances are I would have forgotten anything I had been taught in a high school class but never had ocassion to use in the intervening years.

And most landlords I've had explicitly did not want tenants to try to fix stuff, because of the risk that they wouldn't know what they were doing and fixing their mistakes would be even more expensive than fixing the original problem.

Emergencies, sure, that should be something that most people recognize but there's a big difference between a toilet that keeps running (which should be fixed but is easy to ignore) and an actual leak. Presumably tenants with toilets leaking water onto their floors on an ongoing basis know enough to call the landlord.
I said explicitly in my OP that I'm not criticizing. It's just very obvious that people have no clue when something is a problem. I don't expect anyone to fix things in my rentals. I do expect them to report immediately when they see a leak or the water stops getting hot etc. I don't expect them to be calling when light bulbs need changing on overhead fixtures. We have had to spell these things out in our leases because people honestly don't know. A bird makes a nest in a porch planter? Not an emergency. A squirrel makes a nest in the attic and starts chewing wiring? Yes, call us. Again, this is not to say that people are stupid, but that they don't understand potential problems with a property or what really needs taken care of right away. I sure didn't when I was first on my own. That's why I wonder if anyone is educating younger people on the basics of owning a home.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My parents gradually taught us. I can change light fixtures, electrical outlets, toilet flushing valve, toilet flapper valve, toilet water hose, faucets, light fixtures, shower heads, and exterior lighting. However I know my limits. A certain amount of plumbing and electrical work I will call a professional before attempting to do the work myself. Same with the central heating/cooling system and water heater.

What’s shocking to me is how much basic home cleaning chores some people either don’t bother to do or don’t even know such things need to be done or how to do them. Our parents gradually taught us chores based upon our mental capacity and maturity. Things like picking up and putting away our toys came first. Making the bed and folding clothes came next. Dusting furniture, vacuuming, mopping floors, dishes, laundry, yard work, and dishes followed. I’ve heard some people say they think making children do these chores is making children slaves. No, it’s educating them to becoming responsible adults. It’s the parents job to teach their children these things. Sadly it’s becoming the job of schools to teach these things in high school or college when they should have already learned these things by then.
Loading a dishwasher, folding towels, and dusting were among the skills I taught my mate. He was the only boy and never learned how to do laundry, make a bed. The women in the family did. Not him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House