Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:54 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what both the slots and the wall-full-o'-blades looked like! I've not seen pictures before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
It may come as a shock to many under 50 that the trend is to go back to this type of blade disposal with the increase in single razor blade use.

As a single blade shaver I don't have a place to dump my used blades in the walls. What I do is collect the used blades in a very heavy plastic jug, mark it as a bio-hazard, then seal it up tight,l before I trash it.
I cut a slit in the lid of a tin can (it originally held vegetable broth, so, easy to empty through a slit) and put my blades in there; when full the slit will be well-taped, it'll be marked as sharps, and tossed in the trash. Or, I would throw them in a sharps container when I had access to one (my mom lived in senior apartments and all of the trash-chute rooms had a sharps container for disposal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Van der Hagen blades come in a 5 pack in a plastic sleeve holding all of them. Slide a new one out the top slot, turn the sleeve over and put the used one in that slot.

You can see the sleeve here.

https://www.target.com/p/van-der-hag...SABEgI6wfD_BwE

Sorry for the tangent.
Several brands do that, actually. Off the top of my head and picturing my blades, Gillette and Feather come to mind, and I know there are others, the Personnas maybe and a couple more (the rest just come in a tiny cardboard box).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right! Here's the answer! Old metal medicine cabinets from the 40s on up had a "razor slot" in them to safely dispose of used razor blades. There was nothing usually installed under this slot, they just went down into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, the first pictures look creepy to me, and then, with the answer it made total sense.

I learned something really weird today.
^^^ What Mikala said! Diana, I have to say, the pictures in the OP totally freaked me out ... there is something really, really creepy-scary about them.

Even though I now understand why those razor blades were there ... well, I still find it creepy!

I have a 1960 house and have done a lot of remodeling ... but I wonder if I will find such stashes when I remodel the bathrooms in a year or two!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
^^^ What Mikala said! Diana, I have to say, the pictures in the OP totally freaked me out ... there is something really, really creepy-scary about them.
I know! Weird, huh! Seems bizarre. A realtor posted it on a facebook group all freaked out because they had no idea why they would be there and assumed it was something really creepy! Scared her to death I think. Once I'd read the thread there, I wondered why we hadn't seen or heard of it before and decided to post it here! It must be pretty common!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-23-2019 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
In times past, it was common for carpenters to put a copy of the local newspaper inside the wall of a new house. I was helping remodel an old house and we found a newspaper from 1895. After the crew and the homeowner's family had read it, we wrote on the top margin, "Date of original construction" and we put a copy of that day's newspaper alongside it, marked "Date of remodeling", before we closed them up in the wall. It was an afternoon newspaper in those days and the date was November 22, 1963, so you know what was on the front page.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-23-2019 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Fascinating. Learned something today.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
There is nothing creepy about a pile of razor blades behind the "medicine cabinet," at least to those of us who build or remodel houses. Yes, a pile of silver and gold coins would be a lot more interesting, however. Also, old razor blades aren't dangerous as long as you don't handle them with bare hands. Use a set of needle nose pliers to pick them and drop them in a plastic or metal container. Who knows? Maybe you can find the oldest ever razor blade behind a wall and sell it to a collector.

Now, a skull or a human bone behind a wall would indeed be as creepy as a skeleton in a closet

Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
In the old days, there was a slot in the medicine cabinet to drop the used razors behind the wall.

Mine still has it and I am sure there are razors back there. My house was built in 1923.
You beat me to it

Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, OP and the others!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
One of my neighbors found a stash of used needles in their closet wall from the previous owner. The previous owner was a body builder, the needles were steroids. They had to have them removed by a hazards squad. Really creepy, and creepy guy too. Never know what you’ll find in a wall...

Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My parents found a few empty bottles of whiskey in a wall. They had heard the builder was a bit of a drinker. There are probably more in other walls in their home and a few of the neighbors homes that the guy built. Homes were built well at least, except a few windows were not quite centered where they should have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House