Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:00 PM

307 posts, read 255,329 times

Advertisements

Some things I do daily, some weekly and some monthly. I always make sure the kitchen is cleaned up at the end of the day...dishes done, tables and counters wipe, floors swept up. Bathrooms get cleaned once a week. I sweep the main floor every few days...just depends on when it needs it. I dust every few days...mainly just wiping down tables and wiping down windows etc. I rarely sweep/dust upstairs in the bedroom area lol! I'm horrible with washing sheets too...I do it the 1st of the month...I just HATE washing sheets and there's 5 sets now so there is no way I would do it more frequently...when I was younger I only ever washed them a few times a year so monthly is an improvement haha!

Laundry is done weekly usually consisting of at least 5 loads...I do a load mid week if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How many times has this question been asked before?

Too Many Times!!! Simple check of forum history would have yielded a plethora of answers from the past. The funny part- the answers are always the same!
Thank goodness for the thread police!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Your house is the most expensive thing you might buy or one of the most expensive investments you will probably make so why not maintain it? Maintaining means keeping the inside of it clean, just as much as replacing the HVAC, roof, yard work, siding etc.

Nobody wants to buy a house that is not maintained on the inside should you decide to sell.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
It is only Hubby & me.

I do laundry when needed-clothes at least once a week. Towels, sheets, blankets, etc. not as often-probably every other week or so. Sometimes more than that.

Dishes-I confess that I don't do them everyday. Since it is just the two of us, I usually do them every other day. (That is different if we have a house full.)

I change the litter boxes when needed-once or twice a week-but I scoop them out as needed.

Everything else, other people do. I let Hubby handle taking out the garbage/recyclables.

And my cleaning lady does everything else. She comes every week. One week she will do upstairs and the next week downstairs. But, she always vacuums the living room every week.

Cat

Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I'm retired and live alone with no pets. I have the house divided into six sections and do one each day, Monday-Wednesday, so every room gets cleaned thoroughly (starting with dusting the ceiling corners and ending with wiping down the baseboards and vacuuming) once every 2 weeks. Floor mopping only occasionally, laundry as needed. One section takes me about an hour so it's manageable.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I clean when I'm expecting company. But, it's just me, and a little short-haired cat. And, I'm visually impaired, so it takes a long time for dirt/dust build-up enough to bother me. () The only chore I do regularly is laundry. Everything else gets done when I'm in the mood, or when I'm expecting company, as I said in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Your house is the most expensive thing you might buy or one of the most expensive investments you will probably make so why not maintain it? Maintaining means keeping the inside of it clean, just as much as replacing the HVAC, roof, yard work, siding etc.

Nobody wants to buy a house that is not maintained on the inside should you decide to sell.

Dirt and grit can shorten the life of carpet, and prematurely wear out the finish of a hardwood floor. But, what else in a house is affected by not cleaning often enough?

If I decided to put my house on the market tomorrow, you can be sure I'd thoroughly clean it first.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:03 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The day before the housekeeper shows up... so she doesn’t think I am a slob. ��
Basically the same here....LOL

As a single, not messy person my house stays fairly clean. I spot clean as necessary but leave the rest to my monthly maid service.

Personal hygiene, I shower every 2nd or 3rd day and sometimes daily. I wash up and baby wipe the "hot spots" every night before bed. I change the bed sheets every 10 days or so.

Last edited by johngolf; 03-25-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Every 2 weeks, maid comes and spends 6 hours deep cleaning.

Every day, we clean up after ourselves.

House usually presentable any time.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The day before the housekeeper shows up... so she doesn’t think I am a slob. ��
Ha! That's why I don't have a housekeeper. There'd be too much cleaning up I'd have to do.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

So true....when I built and then sold my first house after 5 years the realtor said my house looked brand new! Of course back then I was a young thing and not sick to death of cleaning up after others...now I'm not cleaning at quite the same level as then and I'd wager most people relax their standards a bit over time. And luckily, I don't plan on selling my current home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House