Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:30 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

I'm embarrassed to say. I need to hire a service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
Everyday I vacuum, wipe counters down, make bed, do a few loads of wash, dishes are put in dishwasher til end of day and then run. I wash floors with my robot mop everyday. I dust three times a week (I have really bad asthma ) I clean bathrooms twice a week.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:14 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,221 times
I also had parents who were fans of the Saturday is house-cleaning day philosophy. We kids vacuumed, dusted, wiped down baseboards, cleaned bathrooms, changed our sheets and picked up our rooms, and often did an outdoor chore or two as well. Yes, we complained, but we did it.

My sophomore college in college, I moved into an apartment with a friend and (incredibly) was surprised to see the bathroom getting gross after a couple of weeks! How quickly we forget

Old 03-26-2019, 06:33 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Everyday I vacuum, wipe counters down, make bed, do a few loads of wash, dishes are put in dishwasher til end of day and then run. I wash floors with my robot mop everyday. I dust three times a week (I have really bad asthma ) I clean bathrooms twice a week.
I've got about the same schedule as you do except I wash my dishes by hand (they're mostly the cats' bowls anyway), and I mop the floors with a Swiffer wet mop (just the kitchen and bathroom floors; the rest are hardwood). Sometimes I'll vacuum twice: once with the Oreck hand-held and then a second time with the Tineco cordless (it's like a Dyson). The lights on the Tineco pick up little particles and even hair that I can't even see after the previous vacuuming - it almost makes me want to shave the cats sometimes!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 AM

401 posts, read 331,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Most things get done weekly but it's not all on one day. I might strip the bed on Monday, mop on Tuesday, etc. Laundry every day or every other day. We need to sweep daily because we have a dog who sheds constantly. Dusting doesn't get done unless I can write my name in it or if I see cobwebs in the corners. It's just not on my priority list. In theory, the bathrooms get wiped daily but in reality, the kids' bathroom gets done when I go in there and freak out that it's filthy. (They are teenagers and are supposed to be taking care of it.) Yesterday I went in and said to my son, "the toilet is gross. Go clean it," and I told my daughter to empty the garbage and straighten up the sink. My son said "I'm pretty sure I did that a week or two ago, it can't need it yet."

So yeah. I'm not going to win the Good Housekeeping award but I really don't care that much!
HAHAHAHA! You're too funny. I don't think you get any prizes for that award anyway!

I myself must have some kind of disorder because I can't really leave the bedroom in the morning without the bed being made; I LOVE to wash dishes, iron and fold clothes. * there's a symetry (sp) and a kind of order to it all that I like! *
I don't really like the bathroom surfaces to be the least bit dirty but am not consumed. But VACUUMING and cleaning the floors I step to the back of the line! I don't understand why I'm so fussy over some things and not others!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:52 AM

401 posts, read 331,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the counter tops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc.

It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?
Oh yeah - the dreaded Saturdays! I can still remember now, my mother, in the 60's, home on Saturday afternoons after working overtime in the factory all week and Saturday morning, coming home and soldiering on, stripping beds, washing clothes, washing floors, cleaning bathrooms - doing everything in hours that must have taken weeks for the ordinary mortal. But for me? As a kid? Oy, Saturdays were brutal. Oh and my father who she worked with? His stamp collection.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
As needed where needed.

Clean the whole house just to clean it? Never.

Unless you mean clean the outside of the house. We try to power wash it each spring. It gets black over the winter - not sure why (paint is white).

My wife does make the bed every day. and I try to pick up my socks I dumped ont he floor the night before if I see them and remember to do so.

Otherwise we have no cleaning routine. I am not bot to clean a bathroom that has not been used since the last time it was cleaned, just to clean it. If it aint broke, don't fix it and if it aint dirty, don't clean it. Cleaning too much can actually cause things to wear out faster.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-26-2019 at 08:02 AM..

Old 03-26-2019, 07:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
I don't think it's that much work, but it helps that I keep ahead of the clutter. I deep clean maybe once per month, but otherwise its just a daily routine of straightening up before bed. A less time-consuming version of Fly Lady, really.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 03-26-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I wonder about this one. When we grew up, it was always once a week. You dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, washed the floors and vacuumed. In the kitchen, it was almost daily, the counter tops, sink, garbage out, any extra messes in the fridge and stove, etc.

It seems w/ the busy lives people have and many working full time, it would be near impossible. Many have paid house cleaners. Is that how people do it nowadays?
nah, my house is too small to justify a house cleaner. I bought a dyson. it is a pleasure to vacuum with it. I love it. I could marry it, this is how much I love it.

Between a combination of roomba that vacuums with me sitting on the couch and watching netflix and me using the dyson, i clean like once per week and it take 30 min max.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
Add me to the list of people who grew up with the idea of Saturday being the day for house-cleaning.

With my family, it was mostly because Mom worked full-time during the week, so weekends were the best time to catch up on housework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House