Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,533 times

Advertisements

I have a shed that was placed on a bed of stone and that means there is an opening around the bottom. I want to close it off to keep animals from getting under there. I am having a particular problem with groundhogs.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Build a platform of 2x6 joists and plywood sitting on 6X6 PT "skids".

Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Build a platform of 2x6 joists and plywood sitting on 6X6 PT "skids".
That sounds sturdy as well as attractive. However, groundhogs are perfectly capable of tunneling beneath the joists and "skids" as well. When they are creating a new den, especially in the springtime when it's breeding season, there's not a lot that will stop them. I did install groundhog "fencing", which had foot-long spikes that went into the earth, around my garage where they liked to burrow. That did the trick.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
I have a shed that was...
Built around avoiding need of building permits/inspections (for the concrete)

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions what to use?
Concrete is still the #1.
A solid bottom construction on skids gets it done. Don't forget the ramp.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Built around avoiding need of building permits/inspections (for the concrete)

Concrete is still the #1.
A solid bottom construction on skids gets it done. Don't forget the ramp.
*snort* Your dismissive shows you have never lived in rural areas. I have at least 4 such sheds on my property and no building permit was ever required, unless the Cherokee required them... but then they didn't have concrete. Sheds can be simple weather shelters for livestock, places to keep equipment away from the elements, for firewood storage, and more. Cost and labor vs. reward is the usual determining factor.

On farms, the traditional groundhog solution was the family dog or a long rifle. Check out the recipes online as proof.

In a suburban setting, groundhogs can go after landscaping and be a problem. In the country, like I am, I enjoy my resident whistlepigs. Their presence deters skunks, and they are fun to watch in the morning and late afternoon when they come out to weedeat.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,533 times
Thanks for trying to help.

If it is in the yard and something scares it then it just runs under the shed. Since I will have to do it myself I was trying to think of something fairly simple to do. I was wondering if I rolled up some chicken wire and shoved it under the perimeter of the shed if that would at least make it more difficult for it to get under the shed. I know they dig so I may be wasting my time.

I did call an exterminator and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money to set a trap. Besides the initial cost to set it up they said sometimes squirrels get trapped (and I do have a lot of squirrels in the yard) and they wanted additional money to come out and reset it each time.

Last summer the neighbors complained it was ruining their garden. Guess there isn't any simple inexpensive answer.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Buy the complaining neighbors a hav-a-heart trap from Harbor Freight and be done with it. It isn't a pet, and those most affected need to step up or stop kvetching. Me? I'll take a few groundhogs in preference to skunks or other critters that fill that ecological niche any day.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:12 AM

577 posts, read 493,108 times
You could dig a 8 inch or so deep narrow trench around the outside walls of the shed and stick this metal PVC coated garden fence down in it, to help stop the ground pigs from digging under it. Cut it in half lengthwise and get two 50 ft. long runs of it if needed. Fasten it to the underside of the building if accessible. Or to the outside of the walls if looks don't matter. Big box building stores have it for around $38.00 +... JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 03-30-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House