Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

I have an ugly tree stump in my front yard, that would likely be impossible to remove or expensive so I want to just want to find something pretty to cover it with.

The previous owner had a birdbath on top. It looked alright but it broke.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what can go on top? It's pretty skinny and about 2-3ft high. Thinking perhaps a birdhouse would look nice as well, something I can screw/nail in from the bottom into the stump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 02:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Call a stump grinder. I don't remember how much they charged to grind down a stump (I think it was on the order of 12-15" diameter) but given that we had just got married and were watching pennies, it couldn't have been too outrageous. They'll take it right down to the ground level or a bit below. A stump grinder is basically a giant fly cutter mounting on an angled shaft.

They'll cut off the sticking-up part first with the big chain saw.

My guess is that cutting off the part that sticks up and maneuvering the grinder into place will take longer than it'll take to grind it down to ground level.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Could you make it into a planter? Maybe ream out the center and plant a variety of flowering and trailing plants. I'm going to be facing this in the near future with a tree whose stump will be impossible to grind out due to its location. I'm thinking of doing that and then drilling a couple of drain holes from the sides into the open center so that the plants won't drown. I suspect I'll have to line the hole in the stump with something permeable so that the roots of the plants won't be in direct contact with the tree's remaining innards. That or put a pot into the hole which would protect the plants. Just brainstorming here as I've just begin to think about what to do with mine when the time comes.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
Grinder +1

Old 03-28-2019, 02:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Picture? There could be some other options for you to enjoy.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...iw=377&bih=542

Old 03-28-2019, 03:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I like the little house ones---with a roof on top, and a door and window. But a birdhouse or bird feeder on top would be nice.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NFMonnaei2SyBa

Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
We had one years ago where the tree had been hit by lightening. Very wide. A service cut it pretty flush with the ground or nearly so. A few plantings around it and you couldn't really tell.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 03-28-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 03:47 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Grinder.
We just had a 36-inch tree removed and the stump grinding was $382 USD.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:59 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have an ugly tree stump in my front yard, that would likely be impossible to remove or expensive so I want to just want to find something pretty to cover it with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what can go on top? It's pretty skinny and about 2-3ft high. Thinking perhaps a birdhouse would look nice as well, something I can screw/nail in from the bottom into the stump.
Why not get rid of an eyesore?
How skinny? If it truly is, you can buy $10 pruning saw from the HD and saw it off at the ground level. It is not difficult- I am able to cut 6-8” tree trunks with it easily.
Then you can drill holes with a spade bit in the stump once it is not that visible and fill those holes with high nitrogen fertilizer ( wink, wink) spread some soil and mulch on it, keep adding fertilizer and water-every now and then - it will rot out in a year or two.
You don’t even have to drill hole- just may take longer- keep it wet and add nitrogen.

Or If your town allows and it is safe to do so- start a charcoal over the stump and burn it slowly. Make sure no mulch around- it will catch fire
Keep water hose nearby just in case and make sure no wind that day.

Or you can carve a sculpture out of it for everyone to enjoy!

Old 03-28-2019, 04:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

A birdbath would be functional, while a birdhouse would be purely decorative. Nothing wrong with that, but why not put something out there that the birds will actually use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House